Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changing factory fitted clock to programmable thermostat

2 posters

Go down

Changing factory fitted clock to programmable thermostat Empty Changing factory fitted clock to programmable thermostat

Post  WilliamS Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi all,

Some background, I purchased a new build property about 6 years ago, it was fitted with a Gulfstream A-Class. The home builder (Berkeley) had an agreement with British Gas for the first 2 years cover (NHBC requirement). During that period there were about 3 or 4 faults which involved leaks, PCB failures and other issues. These were repaired by British Gas with involvement from Gledhill prior to them going bust. Following the initial 2 year period, it took a protracted discussion and multiple visits by British Gas to continue cover, I argued on the basis that they had taken the system on initially and it was a continuation of the policy, they reluctantly accepted. Over the past 3 years, there have been more faults, more recently a problem that took 4 British Gas visits to fix, the 3 way valve was swapped, the CA valve was swapped, the main PCB and secondary PCB were also swapped. The electrical backup "SWITCH" has never worked. British Gas have started mumbling about the fact the Gledhill went bust, parts are harder to get and talk of discontinuing cover, I am still hanging in there as I don't have a spare £3000 for a new boiler and I find it hard to stomach replacing a boiler after just 6 years, but the writing is on the table, anyway, that's the background, thanks for listening ;-).

Onto my current question, the boiler is in an airing cupboard and is not easy to access so changing settings, overriding, clock changes etc are a hassle, the 24 hour timer is limited in it's performance and doesn't lend itself well to changes, it's particularly annoying during weekends when our movements change and the house is cold as the heating is off during the day when we are normally at work and kids at school, the hassle of changing the timer outweighs the effort to change it.

After some research and looking at the design/installation/servicing manual, it appears that a Danfoss TP5000 programmable room thermostat can work with the A-Class, this solves both my accessibility issue and weekend timing situation. I have ordered the wireless version of this and it should be arriving at some point over the next few days.

My issue is how do I wire this into my system? On Page 22 of this manual (gledhill-response.net/documents/GSAClass-Iss5.pdf), Figure 4.7 shows the wiring diagram for a programmable room thermostat and a system without a factory fitted clock, it shows a component "Single Channel Time Switch". This looks to be the closest scenario to what I will have, however how do I emulate the "Single Channel Time Switch" in order to get the correct functionality from the programmable thermostat. Do I need to alter the wiring of the factory fitted 24 hour clock? Do I need to put it into an always on or a timed mode? Do I need to bypass it completely, do some other wiring alterations at the boiler and just use it as a blanking plate? Am I on the wrong track completely? Any help and advice is very much appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Rgds

William

WilliamS

Back to top Go down

Changing factory fitted clock to programmable thermostat Empty Re: Changing factory fitted clock to programmable thermostat

Post  mike Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:08 am

Good news for you.
Gledhill spares are fine.
Google up Gledhill you will be amazed.
South Coast Green Energies are good for the public.
www. Segal.co.uk
Have you a room stat at the moment?
Normally you can wire in a programmable stat there. ( not wireless)
Then all you do is leave the timer on constant.
Page 20 in your book gives you the info for wiring a wireless stat.
Wireless stat place where you want.
The receiver in the cupboard on the wall.
5 core cable from there to unit.
2 stat wires into the stat on unit.
Live, neutral and earth which are required are there too.
If not happy or clear then get someone in.
Gledhill has a tech help line at 60p per minute.
Mike
MGC/H2O
Norfolk

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Changing factory fitted clock to programmable thermostat Empty Re: Changing factory fitted clock to programmable thermostat

Post  WilliamS Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:01 am

Hi Mike,

Many thanks, all done and working, although it took me a while to figure out that I had to jumper a live over when installing the new unit, the old stat had just 4 connections, live, neutral earth and switched live, the new unit needed 5. I also got a little confused with the temperature being too high until I realised that the sensor itself is in the remote unit, it was getting warm by my holding it, I just thought the wall mounted part would have the sensor and the remote unit would be for just adjusting the settings, I should stick to my day job! Thanks again.

William

WilliamS

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down