Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ongoing problems. System now needs resetting!

3 posters

Go down

Ongoing problems.  System now needs resetting! Empty Ongoing problems. System now needs resetting!

Post  RichardG Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:49 pm

We had a new PCB in our Boilermate 2000 about 18 months ago. Then a few weeks ago, we started to get the hot cold fluctuation in water temperature mentioned in numerous posts on this site.

After overcoming the problem for a few weeks by use of the Immersion Heater, I changed the DHW Sensor earlier in the week and the problem seemed to be resolved.

A couple of weeks ago, the Gloworm Boiler PCB started making a heck of a racket so I changed that and again all seemed fixed.
Now, only 3 or 4 days after replacing the DHW sensor, we have had absolutely no hot water twice today! Both times I have turned off and on the mains supply to the Gledhill and the system had immediately reset itself and provided hot water straight away.

Before emptying the airing cupboard yet again this week, has anyone any idea what I should be looking at this time?

RichardG

Back to top Go down

Ongoing problems.  System now needs resetting! Empty Re: Ongoing problems. System now needs resetting!

Post  mike Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:32 am

Any fault codes?
Mike
MGC/H2O
Norfolk

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Ongoing problems.  System now needs resetting! Empty Re: Ongoing problems. System now needs resetting!

Post  RichardG Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:23 pm

Mike,
No. No fault codes but the problem is now back to the dreaded fluctuation of water temperature again. However, sometimes I can fix it by resetting the the mains power and sometimes it stabilises by leaving the shower going for 4 or 5 minutes.

I can only assume it's the main PCB again as I've checked all connections, have the boiler temp set to max and have plenty of water pressure.

I do have a spare u/s pcb that burnt out a couple of years ago - presumably capacitors, so I thought about swapping the chips as they appear to be just push in. The fact that resetting the mains appears to be resolving the problem leads me to assume maybe something wrong with the programme on the board? Any thoughts?

RichardG

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:31 am

Check the DHW pump
Mike
MGC/H2O
Norfolk

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  RichardG Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:23 am

Is that the pump attached to the heat exchanger? The one on the right hand side? What can I check on it and how?

RichardG

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:12 am

No book on the unit?
Down load one for free from Gledhill website.
Yes the right hand pump.
First check if it is free running.
Run the hot tap, see if the pump moves.
You can stop them with your finger, so normal.
Put a volt meter on the pump and see if the voltage goes up and down.
Which it should do ref keeping the temp even.
Did you change the PHE sensor?
Mike
MGC/H2O
Norfolk.

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  scorp Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:53 am

RichardG wrote:Mike,
No. No fault codes but the problem is now back to the dreaded fluctuation of water temperature again. However, sometimes I can fix it by resetting the the mains power and sometimes it stabilises by leaving the shower going for 4 or 5 minutes.

I can only assume it's the main PCB again as I've checked all connections, have the boiler temp set to max and have plenty of water pressure.

I do have a spare u/s pcb that burnt out a couple of years ago - presumably capacitors, so I thought about swapping the chips as they appear to be just push in. The fact that resetting the mains appears to be resolving the problem leads me to assume maybe something wrong with the programme on the board? Any thoughts?
Richard,
You can't just buy new big chip because it is microcontroller with firmware fused inside by Gledhill. Unless you have that firmware and programmer. The other ICs you can replace. Anyway, try capacitors, i'm sure it is the main problem on faulty board. Your current board may have the same issue with caps, being in hot enviroment they lost capacity. Electrolitic ones

scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down