Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does the Switch Control PCB fail often?

2 posters

Go down

Does the Switch Control PCB fail often? Empty Does the Switch Control PCB fail often?

Post  Moonraker Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:31 am

I suspect I might have a faulty Switch Control PCB.

A couple of resistors have got pretty hot and have scorched the PCB around them...is the usual?

The Store pump, which seems to be running constantly, is controlled through one of the relays on this Switch PCB, which is the Manual override, or SWITCH unit. The client tells me they have switched this over a number of times and I am begginning to suspect that this may be the culprit and the relay swicthing contacts have stuck or 'welded closed' keeping the Store pump running permanently.

Reasonable assumption or am I barking up the wrong tree with this one?

Expensive board too at around £80 for a couple of relays, diodes, capacitors and a few resistors!

Last edited by Moonraker on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Moonraker

Back to top Go down

Does the Switch Control PCB fail often? Empty Re: Does the Switch Control PCB fail often?

Post  mike Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:44 pm

Well what ain't expensive these days!
More to the point why is the owner using the "switch" that often?
Mike
MGC/H2O
Norfolk

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Does the Switch Control PCB fail often? Empty Re: Does the Switch Control PCB fail often?

Post  Moonraker Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:33 pm

Mike, the reason this customer is using the switch is becuase of my other post on this fault - about the HW tap running scalding hot, then cold thereafter....

We traced the cabling back up from the store pump and it goes into the switch pcb, which has the scorch marks around the resistors, which is why we are suspecting this board may be the culprit.

Your help in diagnosing this fault would be really appreciated, Mike, if you wouldn't mind having a read at my first post on this fault?

Cheers

Moonraker

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:52 am

Hi,
Can not find your other post.
But if really stuck, get in front of the unit.
And call Gledhill tech guys.
60p per minute but would help you a lot.
Mike
MGC/H2O
Norfolk.

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Moonraker Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:57 am

Moonraker

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:35 am

Hi,
Just read your post.
Who fitted the new ACB board?
Mike
MGC/H2O
Norfolk

Last edited by mike on Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Moonraker Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:55 am

Mike, it was an independant local plumber who did not fill owners with any confidence whatsoever and left saying he couldn't repair it! He fitted the ACB, changed the DHW sensor and tightened a few connections.

I live across the road from the house where this is and have gone in basically to help them out as they have had no quantity of hot water for some time now. All the houses in our street have the same Gledhill system2000 unit fitted. I have just checked the logical things such as LED error indications following the manuals' guidance on this and visual checks over what I can see, along with following the wiring diagrams in the manual. We did however take out the Swicth Control Board to check it after isolating the central heating as we could see that the resistors had got pretty warm and burned the pcb. Electrical checks seem to show all ok though.

My profession is an electronics system designer and engineer, so have followed fundamental fault finding processs with this, but I am not a plumber, so can only do so little.

Any ideas of what can cause the sypmptoms that are apparent?

Thanks.

Moonraker

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:31 am

Re install the PCB.
Have you the manual?
Mike
MGC/H2O
Norfolk

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down