Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electramate 2000 Help!!!

2 posters

Go down

Electramate 2000 Help!!! Empty Electramate 2000 Help!!!

Post  laneyk23 Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:28 am

Morning all!

i am just after some help, i have recieved an electric bill that was a bit of a shock and working out as using over 10 units per day, and the bill working out over 100.00 per month!.

i live in a 2 bed appartment with verylittle other electrical usage, i work full time and very rarely about over the weekend!. i have moved in to this property Jan this year and have used the heating once since being there. i have had the meter checked as i was hoping it was the meter causing the issue to find it is the Electramate2000 causing the problem!.

i was wondering how do i get any control over this water heater?, i dont have the heating on and it only comes on when i use the wall thermostat, but what can i do regarding the water?, it is on an economy 7 tarriff and thought it would use the night rate? and very little throughout the day.

there is a large red switch for on and off. but i am aware just turning it off may cause components inside the unit to fail. is there anything else i can do at all?

i am seeing other people in similar situations but surley there is an alternative to this rather than paying for a service i use 10-20% of the time it is on?

laneyk23

Back to top Go down

Electramate 2000 Help!!! Empty Re: Electramate 2000 Help!!!

Post  Mario.S Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:30 am

laneyk23 wrote:Morning all!

i am just after some help, i have recieved an electric bill that was a bit of a shock and working out as using over 10 units per day, and the bill working out over 100.00 per month!.

i live in a 2 bed appartment with verylittle other electrical usage, i work full time and very rarely about over the weekend!. i have moved in to this property Jan this year and have used the heating once since being there. i have had the meter checked as i was hoping it was the meter causing the issue to find it is the Electramate2000 causing the problem!.

i was wondering how do i get any control over this water heater?, i dont have the heating on and it only comes on when i use the wall thermostat, but what can i do regarding the water?, it is on an economy 7 tarriff and thought it would use the night rate? and very little throughout the day.

there is a large red switch for on and off. but i am aware just turning it off may cause components inside the unit to fail. is there anything else i can do at all?

i am seeing other people in similar situations but surley there is an alternative to this rather than paying for a service i use 10-20% of the time it is on?

Your EM2000 should be on Economy 10 Tariff, not on 7 . This eco7 cost you a lot money to run the electramate, but all depending on the heat-loss in your property ( windows , sealing hight , how big are the rooms, is any hot water tap slightly leaking, how many bath/shower a day you using and when, ect.) And also this is still an electra-mate, so every heat and hot water is heated from immersion hater ( also the switch boiler is only fitted with 2x 4.5kw immersion), £100 a month means you using about 8 to 10 kw per day for all your electric in your property ( equivalent to 10 light-bulbs with 100w for 8 to 10 h on) this means theoretically , your boiler is using electricity for about 1.5h every day. I hope this helps getting you an idea how this boiler works ?
regards Mario at Marios Boiler Service, Hampshire

Mario.S

http://www.marios-boiler-service.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  laneyk23 Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:22 pm

cheers mate for getting back to me.

no taps dripping no shower dripping. we are quite lucky being a middle flat so get other peoples heat passing through ours!.

i have arranged with southern elec. for the meter to be changed to a econ 10 meter next week.

i have recorded the meter readings daily and i have just go in from work, not a single light on or socket and it has used 18 units of elec. mainly day rate!.

the property is pretty much air tight and doesnt loose a lot of heat, so i am at a loss to what else i can do?.

do you really think the econ 10 will make that much of a diff to energy bills?

hope to hear from you soon mate

thanks

laneyk23

Back to top Go down

Post  laneyk23 Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:27 pm

i have also noticed that my meter readings are a little odd!

rate 1 which is day rate is 11304
rate 2 which is night rate is 09632

.....i was under the impression that the night rate would be higher as this was the rate that the boiler would recognise is when it would charge its self?

any help would be great!

laneyk23

Back to top Go down

Electramate 2000 Help!!! Empty EM2000 help

Post  Mario.S Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:24 am

laneyk23 wrote:i have also noticed that my meter readings are a little odd!

rate 1 which is day rate is 11304
rate 2 which is night rate is 09632

.....i was under the impression that the night rate would be higher as this was the rate that the boiler would recognise is when it would charge its self?

any help would be great!

If your EM2000 is using 19 units per day, this is correct, but it should be using Off Peak ( at minimum 10 to 15 units of your 19 units per day), so also your meter reading rate 2 ( off peak) sould be about 2x higher than the peak rate , thats why you paying to mutch ( every electric your boiler is using is from top rate), Is your EM connected to Off Peak? In your cubbord shuld be 2 !! switches for the boiler, 1. the bigg red one and a normal standars (3 amp) switch for the Off peak, both has to be on. Some Builder do not bother about the Off Peak switch and not fitting the cabel from the meter to the boiler. Alternatively you could fit a standard 3 amp timer in the cubbord and connect them to the off peak terminal in the Electamate , and time this to the off peak times, given by your electric supplyer.
Regards Mario at Marios Boiler Service

Mario.S

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario.S Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:30 am

laneyk23 wrote:cheers mate for getting back to me.

no taps dripping no shower dripping. we are quite lucky being a middle flat so get other peoples heat passing through ours!.

i have arranged with southern elec. for the meter to be changed to a econ 10 meter next week.

i have recorded the meter readings daily and i have just go in from work, not a single light on or socket and it has used 18 units of elec. mainly day rate!.

the property is pretty much air tight and doesnt loose a lot of heat, so i am at a loss to what else i can do?.

do you really think the econ 10 will make that much of a diff to energy bills?

hope to hear from you soon mate

thanks

Eco 10 is giving 1x 5h in the night, 1x 2h in late morning and 1x3h in afternoon, so your electramate should runn on off peal almost only, this will reduce of course the rate you pay for the electric your boiler is using. eco 7 is 1x 7h from midnight to 7am, thats it, for the rest of the day your boiler is using peak tarrif.
regards Mario at Marios Boiler Service

Mario.S

Back to top Go down

Post  laneyk23 Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:20 am

hi mario cheers for your help mate

i have looked in the boiler cupboard over the weekend looking for this switch and there is only the 1 red on and off switch, but next to that is 2 socket covers with no switch..... i am going to test behind them tonight (have a electritan coming to test this tonight). if there is no off peak wired up how do i rectify this?, is this something that needs to be picked up with my supplyer? i am aware they need to make sure they are both working correctly in the property.

i am being swapped over to econ 10 on friday. is there anything the engineer from southern elec. could look at for me???

cheers again mate

laneyk23

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario.S Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:21 am

laneyk23 wrote:hi mario cheers for your help mate

i have looked in the boiler cupboard over the weekend looking for this switch and there is only the 1 red on and off switch, but next to that is 2 socket covers with no switch..... i am going to test behind them tonight (have a electritan coming to test this tonight). if there is no off peak wired up how do i rectify this?, is this something that needs to be picked up with my supplyer? i am aware they need to make sure they are both working correctly in the property.

i am being swapped over to econ 10 on friday. is there anything the engineer from southern elec. could look at for me???

cheers again mate

if you have no other switch in this cupboard, your electramate is not register the off peak at all, so, easy option would be, fit an standard 24h timer and sett this timer to the off peak settings , your electric supplier is providing you, this timer needed to be connected to the off peak terminal in the electramate ( 3 A only required) Mario at Marios Boiler Service

Mario.S

Back to top Go down

Post  laneyk23 Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:19 am

evening mate,

i have took the covers off to find behind 1 a 2.5mm cable and the other a 1.5 mm cable both go in to the boiler and connected, it looks like the 1.5mm is connected to the off peak inside the boiler.

i have checked again and still using silly units! 40 on peak since friday!.

do you have an email address i can fire you these pictures to just for you opinion please?

mate really appriciate your help honestly!

thanks

laneyk23

Back to top Go down

Post  laneyk23 Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:28 am

i have had an electritian look at it today, he has found the wire from the off peak wasnt connected in to r36???? he has connected this it came from the top off the off peak board/teleswitch and has now been connected to the socket above in the board. do you think this could have been the issue??

many thanks

kyle

laneyk23

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario.S Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:20 am

laneyk23 wrote:i have had an electritian look at it today, he has found the wire from the off peak wasnt connected in to r36???? he has connected this it came from the top off the off peak board/teleswitch and has now been connected to the socket above in the board. do you think this could have been the issue??

many thanks

kyle

as i say, 10 units per day is absolute normal, your water is not getting hot from nothing.Yes if this cable was not connected , your boiler is only running 65% effective and hardly ever using the off peak electricity (so costly running). Off peak setting would be 80-85 c if off peak is over , you can use boiler load as down to 55 c before the peak will charge to 65c, so you have a buffer from 85c full off peak load down to 55c before peak will be used. of course if no off peak signal is getting to your boiler, you have a full load of 65c and after fue minutes the load gets down to 55 c and the boiler starts to reheat, so no buffer at all.
regards to my mail address, have a look on my website, all info's are there www.marios-boiler-service.co.uk or just google for marios boiler service
regards Mario

Mario.S

Back to top Go down

Post  laneyk23 Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:00 am

Cheers mario, well just got home from work to see that on the peak rate only 4 units been used since this time yesterday, and 17 units on off peak so my guessing is the supply is there but not quite right? 21 units over all.

The cable has been connected in the boiler but should it record this much over one night?

I am a complete amateur at this kind of thing just assumed I would be looking around 12 units or so per day!.

I have put the room thermostat a danfoss one on 5degrees the frost setting for all program's to try and help reduce any sort of wasted energy

laneyk23

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario.S Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:36 am

laneyk23 wrote:Cheers mario, well just got home from work to see that on the peak rate only 4 units been used since this time yesterday, and 17 units on off peak so my guessing is the supply is there but not quite right? 21 units over all.

The cable has been connected in the boiler but should it record this much over one night?

I am a complete amateur at this kind of thing just assumed I would be looking around 12 units or so per day!.

I have put the room thermostat a danfoss one on 5degrees the frost setting for all program's to try and help reduce any sort of wasted energy

do not panic, this is the first day, and the boiler has to load up for the first time to max , to build up the buffer, so every thing normal, tomorrow is the first time where you will notice the different
Mario,
and by the way you should read again to the manual of your room-stat, there is no need for reprogramming every day if you using the standard stat witch comes with the electramate, just press the 2 nobbs for the temperature both together 2x and you get to the frost setting without reprogramming the lot. ;-)

Last edited by Mario.S on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : needet to be edite)

Mario.S

Back to top Go down

Post  laneyk23 Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:46 pm

hi mario,

have had the econ 10 meter fitted now and let it run for a few days is now running at 16.5 units per day..... i just noticed on the front of the boiler it says to run the wall thermostat at 15 degrees constantly for the most energy efficient???

is this best?

i am going to track the usage from today till tomorrow only because the weekend we have been in so i dont think 16.5 is really that high at the moment

cheers mate

thanks

kyle

laneyk23

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down