Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drop in voltage to boiler pump issue

Go down

Drop in voltage to boiler pump issue Empty Drop in voltage to boiler pump issue

Post  life of bryan Mon May 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Just to give a bit of background to the job I'm doing, I am a plumber and I was asked to look at a 9kw EM2000 in a flat in Manchester which had been drained down by someone else whilst the property was empty and the new owner who bought the property at auction refilled the system.Whilst working on another EM in the building the owner grabbed me and asked me to take a look at his which was giving no hot water.So removed the cover and found the over heat sensor on the flow boiler had tripped so I reset this and thought it had tripped when the system was empty and so would be fine.The customer called me the following day to say it had tripped again so a more thorough inspection was needed,I found that the flow boiler was overheating and kettleing till it tripped and the boiler pump was a noisey Bosch unit instead of the usual Grundfos so recommended this was changed which I did for the right pump ordered from Gledhills and a new pump non-return valve. The system improved but I still found the flow boiler was too hot to the touch from the start when the system is only 20ish degree's C and tripped after a while so thought that it may have scaled up inside due to the regular boiling up and getting gradually too hot over time so I replaced it for a new flow boiler from Gledhills. This improved things again with the flow boiler acting more normally whereby it is only just warmer than the water flowing through it but still the system isnt quite right.I heard a change in the tone noise of the system and the flow boiler starting to get hotter than it should, after multimeter testing the voltage to the boiler pump I found it runs at 240 Volts for a good while then it suddenly drops to 165 Volts which is affecting the boiler pumps performance.What could be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

life of bryan

Back to top Go down

Drop in voltage to boiler pump issue Empty Re: Drop in voltage to boiler pump issue

Post  life of bryan Fri May 17, 2013 1:43 pm

Just as a conclusion to this post, as the pump is direct from the main board I suspected the board was at fault so phoned the Gledhill's helpline and they confirmed what I thought and the system now has a new main board.

life of bryan

Back to top Go down