Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hot water but no heating

2 posters

Go down

Hot water but no heating Empty Hot water but no heating

Post  NP Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:37 am

Hello,

Firstly, I'm so glad that this forum exists as it seems the Gledhill range is rather special! I'm really hoping that I can get some help here.

I just moved in to a home which has a Gledhill Boilermate A Class SP SOL and a Gledhill GB10 Condensing Boiler. When I moved in, the previous owner left the Boilermate on "Switch" for some reason, which provided hot water, but no heating. I have since reverted back to normal operation and managed to get the boiler to receive a demand from the programmer. I am getting hot water, but no heating whatsoever. They say that a pictures tells a thousand words, so hopefully this will help. If anything looks awry please let me know.

Here is the set up (don't ask me why that tank is so close to the trip switches, madness in my opinion):

Hot water but no heating WP_20140325_005_zps155d7bab

Here is the control panel, with everything programmed correctly (I think):

Hot water but no heating WP_20140325_008_zps34cb8a7b

Here is another shot:

Hot water but no heating WP_20140325_006_zpsf7c00095

Looking at the above picture, the gauge at the very top sits at around 3bar, but the bottom pressure gauge is on 0 bar. Is this normal? Also, the manual fill tub is empty.

To summarise, some questions:

1) Are the pressure gauges in the above picture within normal operational parameters?
2) How can I tell if the boilermate needs filling?
3) What is the top (3bar) pressure gauge for?
4) I've read that these thermal stores need to be at maximum temperature to work properly. How do I set this?

Now on to the boiler. I think this might be the cause of my problems, but can't be certain as this isn't my area of expertise at all. It could very well be linked to the boilermate though The boiler display most of the time shows this sequence of lights:

Hot water but no heating WP_20140325_004_zps878fcf1e

Although the dot next to the 2 bars changes between solid ON and flashing ON/OFF. According to the manual, here is an explanation:

Hot water but no heating Boilerpng_zps9ef2ad5f

When I reset the boiler, and after the initial start up I get a solid light indicating that the boiler has lit. It stays this way for about 10 minutes, then reverts back to flashing, indicating that the boiler is in "ignition sequence". It will then sporadically switch between solid and flashing, although most of the time is spent flashing. The pipes coming out of the boiler are hot. I'm wondering if a pump is at fault.

5) I am assuming that D1 should always be ON? Then again you never know with Gledhill! If this is the case, does anyone know what could be the problem?
6) As I just moved in, I'm wondering if the previous owner may have switched something off on the Boilermate. They turned off the gas supply to the boiler, but are there any valves I can check on the Boilermate?

Sorry for all of the questions, but having no heating is driving me crazy - especially when I'm up at 5am as it's COLD!

Thanks in advance, any help or input is appreciated.

NP

Back to top Go down

Hot water but no heating Empty Re: Hot water but no heating

Post  mike Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:03 pm

Right.
You have solar?
I think you will find that is the top gauge,
The other one with no reading, it is pressure? Not temperature ?
I think you will find it is the heating system (pressurised) And it is not.
Need to fill the system cold 1 to 1.2 bar.
But the previous people living there knew there was a problem.
Hence using the back up.
It might pay to read your manual.
And go through the commissioning section more so for filling the unit and heating.
Check the pumps are free and bleed them.
Mike

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  NP Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:51 am

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.

I believe the solar system is used only to supplement the heating system. According to the installation manual, the bottom gauge (which is connected to the left hand tank in the picture) is for the "Solar expansion vessel" (the one registering 0bar - so pressure). The top gauge is something I'm not too sure of - it looks like the branch is coming off from a pipe from the boiler. I forgot to mention that the top gauge initially was at 0bar, but I opened the valve and it started filling quickly - i shut it when it reached 3bar but made no difference...

I've just read the manual re. filling, and it looks a bit out of my comfort zone to be honest. I've called a boiler man to come out again today, although last time he wasn't able to fix it. Hopefully once I relay your information to him he will have a better idea of how to get the heating to work.

Also might be worth noting that the property has underfloor heating, so hard to tell if it's properly on. Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes

NP

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:50 pm

Under floor heating is slow to start most often.
And once winter arrives it is better to keep it on / ticking over.
Mike

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  NP Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:40 am

Well the boiler man came out again last night, slight improvement but still no heating. By improvement, he managed to bleed air from the system, but the property still isn't getting hot (I've set all room stats on 30c).

What's strange is that all the pipes on the manifold are hot (some a lot hotter than others admittedly), but it's still not heating our home? He thinks it could be a stat/actuator problem, although surely they can't all be faulty? Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

NP

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down