Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Think Boiler Pump has died

2 posters

Go down

Think Boiler Pump has died Empty Think Boiler Pump has died

Post  ex_directory Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:52 pm

My boiler pump is dead I think (leftmost pump), when I remove the chrome cap, there are bits in there and using a screwdriver I cannot move the pump inside. The other pumps spin and are clean.

Also my valves have furred up over the years above and below. So I assume that means a drain down, replace valves and pump.

The pump is a Grundfos "XB241" 15/60 pump with 1½" connections, (UPS 15 - 60X18)

Is this the pump that now replaces the original BM2000 boiler pump?

Grundfos UPS2 15/50 - 15/60 Pump (Part number 98334549)

Thanks for any guidance.

ex_directory

Back to top Go down

Think Boiler Pump has died Empty Re: Think Boiler Pump has died

Post  ex_directory Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:17 pm

While I am asking, Toolstation seem to be selling an identical looking valve (4 quid)

Pump Valve 28mm x 1.1/2" Ball
Pump Valve 28mm x 1.1/2" Gate

or do I need to buy one from a Gledhill spares site (25 quid-ish)

I assume it is gate not ball?

ex_directory

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:00 pm

Best to fit a Grundfos pump.
The new ones may not fit and may not be worth while like the old ones.
Yes you can fit any pump valve on the boiler or heating pumps.
You will have to trim some off the pipes though as the Gledhill pump valves are quite short.
Best buy would be the Peglar Pump valves from Screwfix.
Or any gate type.
But not just any ball type as they can be crap.
The DHW pump you must use the Gledhill ones as the pipes can NOT be altered.
Mike

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  ex_directory Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:28 pm

Valves

So the toolstation gate ones are different, suggesting may be the ones that would be identical to the BM2000 from toolstation are ball type ones?

Anyway, I did not want to take the risk so have ordered up 2 valves from gledhill, total cost inc Delivery was 36, so not too bad. 3 out of 6 of my valves have leaked a bit over the last 13 years, two new shiny ones going on soon.

Mike, btw, the peglar ones are only 22mm on screwfix.

Pump

Screwfix (and others) do sell the pump between 115 and 130, however, managed to get a exact replacement, UPS 15-60X18, from a local supplier for 96 inc. who still has old stock, it is silver/black rather than red, but is made by Grundfos and otherwise seems identical, and was brand new as had a seal on the box.

By the way, I phoned Grundfos helpline and they did confirm the Alpha2L and the UPS2 15-50/60 I listed above are the replacements for the UPS 15-60X18. The chap also confirmed the X18 part is just a marking and is not anything that is required.

I also splashed out and called Gledhill (!), they said the pump on the boiler can be replaced by a 15/50, of course they would rather sell your their spare part so would not comment on other pumps that would work. They also said the valves at toolstation would be fine (same as Mike said), but again stated they sell their own.

They gave me some readings to check, 150 ohms across the neutral and live on the pump (disconnect the wires first) to check the pump electrics are ok, and 230 volts across neutral and live when the pump is being asked to run.

So now to Friday when my plumber mate comes around so we drain down, pump on, and hope it all works!

Final thoughts

I love my BM2000, I hope it keeps going for some time yet!

Thanks for this forum Mike!

Andy

ex_directory

Back to top Go down

Post  ex_directory Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:27 pm

Keeping you updated as this may be of interest to someone...

The gledhill 28mm valves have arrived, they are ball type! These are the ones that have a screwdriver turn on the front. Probably suggests why people claim they leak. You would think that Gledhill would know to only send out gate ones!?

So anyway, I have 2 gate ones that are chunkier and longer from Toolstation, £5 each made by primaflow...

Think Boiler Pump has died 2014-04-03%2020.19.40

and 2 gate ones that are direct replacement but ball type, £18 each made by primaflow...

Think Boiler Pump has died 2014-04-03%2020.20.41

I will let my plumber mate decide as longer ones means cutting down the pipe but maybe won't leak over time.

Moral of the story don't buy valves from Gledhill, go to Toolstation or as Mike says Screwfix!

Andy

NB: Images not working in the forum, not sure why, but you can right click the image icon and open in another browser window.

ex_directory

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:02 pm

The Gledhill ones are good / ok.
But any ball type from most other locations are crap.
If using gate type make sure you open them fully, if not the can "rattle"
As stated before you can fit any 15/50 or 15/60 pump for replacement of the boiler / heating pumps.
DHW must be the Gledhill one as it will go from 130 volts to 240 when working. Others will not run that low.
See post on here
"warning using pumps for DHW on Gledhills
If you want top dollar pump valves any made by;
Gledhill
Peglar
Prestex
Are all good.
All the cheap ones will play up. Gate ones will leak around the gland area.
Ball ones will leak too. And more so when wanting to use them when changing a pump.
Always at Christmas, Bank holidays etc. Meaning a drain down.
To be honest most pump changes involve a drain down. Not many easy ones these days.
You will no double have to trim your pipe work if fitting non Gledhill pump valves.
Unless there is some down ward movement on the pipe work.
Mike
PS;
Not my site, it is another Mike

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  ex_directory Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:23 pm

Mike, thanks. Will update again after tomorrow.

BTW, for any noobs like me... when Mike says "DHW must be the Gledhill one as it will go from 130 volts to 240 when working. Others will not run that low.", this means the one on the right hand side that is actually pumping water from the thermal store around the plate heat exchanger (PHE) to heat up the cold mains feed going through the other half of the PHE to create domestic hot water (DHW), the pump itself does not add pressure to the hot tap, it is driven only by mains cold pressure - this is what confused me initially anyway!!!

Andy

ex_directory

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:13 pm

Correct.
Mains cold water goes in.
Mains hot come out.
Well done
Mike

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  ex_directory Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:49 am

Final update on this saga....

Drained down from above the boiler. Wasn't much play in the pipes from the BM so took about 10mm off the pipes, new Grundfos pump and Gledhill valves then fitted perfectly.

Didn't take too long to fill up the thermal store again. Fired it up and all working perfectly again.

Yes, I used the gledhill ball valves, figured I shouldn't have to replace them every again so just used the direct replacements. Also, I couldn't face talking to the people at Gledhill spare parts again to get a refund, they are possibly the most miserable sales people I have ever spoken to, so I will just return the gate ones to toolstation.

Thanks to Mike for help.

Andy

ex_directory

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down