Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pulsacoil 2000 - incorrect wiring?

2 posters

Go down

Pulsacoil 2000 - incorrect wiring? Empty Pulsacoil 2000 - incorrect wiring?

Post  Fin Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:12 pm

Hello,

I have two issues with the Pulsacoil 2000 in the apartment I rent, and was hoping for some advice / clarification.

The first is where occasionally the bottom thermostat requires resetting.  It can be quite inconvenient where it happens overnight, and you wake to hardly any hot water!  I believe there are two controls for each thermostat; one that controls the the immersion heater to regulate the temperature of the water, and a second safety control to stop the system overheating.  Is that correct?  If so I presume that the control that keeps requiring a reset is the safety one.  What steps can I take to stop it triggering?

The second issue is a little bigger.  For a while I have wondered about the scale of my electricity bill.  I live in a modestly sized two bedroom apartment on my own, yet my electricity bill amounts to around £80 per month on average.  I'm on an Economy 7 meter, and my ratio of off-peak to on-peak use use us fairly stable at about 30:70.  As far as I was aware my Pulsacoil 2000 should be charging overnight on the cheap electric, but I've heard it bubbling away in the day.

I recently opened the front of it to have a look and I think it has been wired, well, inconveniently.  There is the on-peak boost supply which is connected correctly, where I can turn it on as needed.  The regular power supply to the mains control circuit is also wired correctly, and is left on all the time to power the unit (and allow the pump to engage when the taps are turned on).  However, it appears a lazy builder has just put a length of cable between the terminals for the mains control circuit and the terminals for the off peak supply.  Therefore, power is constantly supplied to the 'off-peak' terminals, and hence the bottom immersion heater.  Thus, the bottom immersion heater can and will fire at any time the thermostat tells it to no matter the time of day.

The fix would be to remove the cable link from the mains control terminals, and run a new cable from the spur via a timer unit (set in accordance with the Economy 7 schedule) to the off-peak terminals, thereby only allowing power to the bottom immersion heater during the off-peak rate.  Does that sound correct?  I'm not an electrician (and therefore wouldn't play around with this myself, especially as I don't own it), but I believe I am right.  I'd like clarification before I approach my landlord.  Any help would be appreciated.

Fin

Fin

Back to top Go down

Pulsacoil 2000 - incorrect wiring? Empty Re: Pulsacoil 2000 - incorrect wiring?

Post  mike Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:32 pm

Does not sound correct.
Post some pictures?
Mike

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Fin Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:37 pm

https://servimg.com/view/19056285/1

https://i.servimg.com/u/f59/19/05/62/85/img_8910.jpg

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your response. Hopefully one of the above links should work - I couldn't seem to upload images directly to the forum.

Fin

Fin

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:46 pm

Not correct at all.
And.
The safety reset stat can be removed.
And 2 new stats fitted with a link up joint to join the 2 wires from the same.
Have you the book?
Down load for free from Gledhill.
Explains how to fit, wire & connect.
Your landlord need to attend to the unit.
Mike

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down