Guidance with switch and timer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Guidance with switch and timer

Post  bod on Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:12 pm

Hi,

We adopted the systemate when we bought this house at 5 years old and I've never quite got my head around this system.

We have the thermal store coupled with an icons gas boiler in the kitchen and I have A couple of questions and an issue.

Firstly our boiler has stopped working, we are waiting on the replacement part, so I need to understand the switch function on the systemate. Is it just like the on/off switch on an immersion heater ie, we put it to 1 for hot water and turn it off when we think we have enough and 2 for generating both hot water and heating, again turning it off when we think we have enough. Or is the switch function linked to the timer function on the front of the thermal store, ie if I set it to hot water and heating will we only get hot water and heating when the corresponding programme I enter into the timer says it should be on, ie between 5 and 7 in the morning?

Obviously I don't want the unit to be permanently heating in switch mode, I just want it on in the morning. We ahold have the boiler fixed by the end of the week but it's a bit confusing.

Secondly, once we've got everything back working, how should I use the timer on the thermal store? We currently use the timer on the boiler/central heating downstairs (a Siemens control unit) to set heating on and off, what's the point/function of the timer on the thermal store? Should it be on permanently, should it be on the same times as the boiler/Siemens timer or should it be used differently.

I don't really understand the Switch function and the timer function on our systemate 2000 so any help,would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

bod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Guidance with switch and timer

Post  mike on Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:06 pm

Have you the user book?
And the installer book?
Mike

mike

View user profile http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  bod on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:16 pm

I have both Mike, but neither one mentions using it in combination with a boiler and using that timer rather than the one on the storage unit.

bod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mike on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:29 pm

Page 15 in the book
Page 6 optional equipment.
Should tell you what you want / need to know.
Mike

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  bod on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:57 pm

Manual now makes sense for the 'emergency' switch settings, but I'm confused as to why is there a timer on the thermal store then if the timer on the the gas boiler controls when the heating comes on?

We've got the thermal store set to heating and hot water, I think option 2, until we get the gas boiler fixed, but that means it is on permanently and is not controlled by the timer on the thermal store. I've tried the timer on the store but it seems to have no effect.

Still don't understand why you would have a timer on the thermal store if you have one on the gas boiler down stairs. We don't have econmy 7 (if it still exists) or anything like that. If someone could explain the reason for this two timer system then I'd be very happy. The only thing I can think is that you set the timer for heating on the thermal store I the afternoon when it's had all day to charge with hot water and use the gas boiler timer for heating in the morning as everyone will be hammering the system for showers.

The two timer bit is unclear to me but thanks for looking Mike.

bod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mike on Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:25 pm

The timer down stairs was / is optional.
What is it working?
The heating?
Or the boiler?
If the boiler then to cut down on night time noise.
If the heating then to save going to the unit.
Neighbours what have they got?
Mike

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top