Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pulsacoil 2000 mains switched off briefly now off peak works but no boost

2 posters

Go down

Pulsacoil 2000 mains switched off briefly now off peak works but no boost Empty Pulsacoil 2000 mains switched off briefly now off peak works but no boost

Post  OnTheDip Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:47 am

Hi All,

Hoping somebody can assist with this.

I've just accidently switched the wrong mains box off in our apartment. Unfortunately the one that I switched off was the one that the boiler uses.

Anyway, I switched it back on about 30 seconds later and all the clock etc had reset on the water timer.

Now the boost does not work (we press the boost button but there is no noise or anything going on with the pulsacoil at all). If I fudge the time on the water time so that it thinks it's off peak and the off peak light comes on then we get boiling hot water.

Strangely enough, we had the same issue around a year ago when we switched the mains off whilst we went away for three weeks on holiday. When we returned we had exactly the same issue.

A plumber came out to resolve it, but wouldn't tell me what he'd done to fix it (our landlord dealt with plumber).

Is this something simple that I can do myself? Or is it a job for a plumber again? Seems bizarre that a simple powercut needs to result in a plumber being called out and th boost going every time?

Thanks in advance!
John

OnTheDip

Back to top Go down

Pulsacoil 2000 mains switched off briefly now off peak works but no boost Empty Re: Pulsacoil 2000 mains switched off briefly now off peak works but no boost

Post  mike Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:58 am

Need more details ref the switches and timer / all controls
Mike

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Pulsacoil 2000 mains switched off briefly now off peak works but no boost Empty Re: Pulsacoil 2000 mains switched off briefly now off peak works but no boost

Post  OnTheDip Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:15 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response.

In our apartment, in the cupboard where the boiler is, there are three fuses on the right hand wall (as opposed to switches). Peak, off-peak and boost.

The only other thing available is the mains switch on the wall and the water timer.

The water timer does not have any branding etc on it, but the lower right horizontal switch has 'on time', ' off time' , 'timed boost' and 'manual boost'

There are two push buttons on the right hand side also, one for hour and one for minute. This allows me to change the time (I.e. After a power cut) and also to set the times boost off/on when the switch is in the appropriate place.

There are two central push buttons, one that flips between summer/winter and one for the boost.

There are two lights in the upper central for 'boost' and 'off peak'

There is a up/down switch on the left of the timer to turn the timer off/on.

It was switched off by the main circuit board, as opposed to the boiler mains switch, although last time it was shut off at the boiler mains switch and we had the same problem.

The boost light comes on, whether operated in manual or timed boost, but nothing at all happens.

If I change the clock on the timer so that it thinks it's early hours of the morning (I.e. The off peak light comes on the timer) then immediately we hear the water starting to boil.

Not sure if that is anything to go on and apologies as I'm not very techy! It just seems bizarre that the problem can reoccur every time the mains is shut off, I.e. Boost stops altogether but off peak works fine.

So any advice you could give would be appreciated!

If my description doesn't help I'd be happy to upload pictures this evening from work if you wanted to see the timer or something?

Thanks!
John

OnTheDip

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:19 am

If the unit is hot.
Then the boost would not heat up.
Mike

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  OnTheDip Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:27 pm

Ok Mike, I'll try the boost once we have no hot water at all to give it a test, maybe it's because the hot water does not need further heating.

I assumed the boost would make some sort of noise etc, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks for the advice.

OnTheDip

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down