Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to the system

2 posters

Go down

New to the system Empty New to the system

Post  philknowles Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:40 am

Hi
I am new to Boilermate and also to this forum - if I am asking things that are covered elsewhere I apologise.
I have a Boilermate 2000 and as I understand it heating is controlled by the room thermostat and the automatic timer but the hot water system is not linked to the automatic timer.
Am I right in thinking that the hot water is stored in a tank in the back of the boilermate 2000 and is kept at a constant temperature by pumping water via the external boiler when the temperature drops below that level - whether I need hot water or not?
I have read that when a hot water tap is turned on, hot water is supplied (using the right hand pump) to the tap directly from the cold mains supply via a heat exchanger - does that mean that this is independent of the hot water storage in the back of the boilermate?
If this is the case why do I need the tank for hot water at all when I don't need central heating?

How can I tell if a pump is working?

Can I get any information about parts of the system working (or not) on the PCB?

These are probably very basic questions but I would like to understand how it all works - any replies would be appreciated.

philknowles

Back to top Go down

New to the system Empty Re: New to the system

Post  mike Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:02 pm

To be honest you are on the right track.
I would recommend that your read through the BM 2000 posts.
It will take time.
But you will learn a lot and by the sound of things understand it too.
Mike

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  philknowles Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:34 pm

Hi Mike

thanks for your reply - I will work my way through all the posts but it will take time as you say. In the meantime if you can just answer a couple of questions I would appreciate it.
If I have the BM2000 turned on and the boiler turned on (maximum setting) and the room thermostat turned fully down and the timer turned off then the BM2000 will maintain its tank of water at a constant temperature by controlling the firing of external boiler when necessary. This is using the gas boiler to heat the water and means that hot water is available at all times.

When I turn a hot tap on - is the hot water supplied from the tank as its default?

I have read that when a hot tap is turned on hot water is supplied by a heat exchanger (presumably using electricity) but this at odds with the hot tank method outlined above.

Does the heat exchanger method only kick in if the water being supplied from the tank is not at the required temperature - I can only think that running a bath uses more hot water than the tanks capacity and such a situation arises.

If the external boiler is off and the BM2000 tank is cold does the heat exchanger method kick in straight away as swoon as a hot tap is turned on?

philknowles

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:51 pm

It is called a Thermal store.
Stores heat.
A battery store electricity.
The water in the unit may be the same water when it was installed.
To get hot water.
Cold from the street.
Into PHE
Pump then pumps the store water around the PHE (dirty side)
Cold goes in the clean side and comes out hot.
DHW on demand at mains pressure.
Legionnaires disease is pretty well zero.
Your boiler may come on, NOT when you use DHW.
But when the store drops.
It will always be around 75c.
Heating is pretty quick.
DHW great.
Just ride with it.
You are not used to it. And you are worrying too much.
As with all energy usage today nothing is cheap.
Now study the BM 2000 posts and everything you need / want to know is there.
Mike

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  philknowles Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:44 pm

Hi Mike

OK I understand now (I think!) how it is supposed to work and I have been experimenting with the system and I now just have one remaining issue.

I believed that the timer controlled when the heating came on and off but in fact the timer controls when the boiler is on or off

If the timer is set to off then the boiler just does not run at all - no power to it
If the timer is set to timed then the boiler is only powered up when in the on time settings.
If the timer is set to constant then the boiler is powered on all the time.

It seems to me that this must be wired up wrong because if the boiler is powered off during off time settings then the heat store will slowly lose its heat.

This is consistent with how the heating actually works - when you turn it on it doesn't get hot for half an hour or so which must be the time it takes for the heat store to reach a viable temperature.

Can you confirm that the wiring of the timer seems to be incorrect? or is it me still not understanding it fully?

Phil

philknowles

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:48 pm

Hard with out seeing.
Is the timer on the unit or located elsewhere?
If the latter then it works the unit, so less noise night time.
Room stat work the heating when the timer is on.
Set it to work all the time.
Or not when in bed.
But once heated it will switch off.
Mike

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  philknowles Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:14 pm

timer is on front of BM2000

the timer is effectively isolating the boiler so if the timer is set to off the BM2000 will be calling for heat from the boiler and never getting any because the boiler is off - same in the timed off positions

Surely the boiler should be on all the time so that when the BM calls for heat the boiler provides it?

The timer should be wired somehow in conjunction with the room thermostat to control when the BM2000 pumps heat around the radiators and this should be independent of the BM2000 activating the boiler?

philknowles

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:17 pm

Right sorry was thinking of another post lol.
BM 2000 timer only works the heating.
Check the display on the ACB.
Then try going through the fault codes

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  philknowles Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:49 am

The display on the ACB looks fine - it displays the word 'on'

The system is showing no fault codes.

It is just that the timer turns the boiler on and off (when I say turns the boiler on and off I mean it turns the electrical supply to the boiler on and off)
which to me now seems incorrect as if it must be wired up wrong?

philknowles

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:20 am

It does sound weird.
Look in the book.

Mike

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content