Gledhill Boilermate Class A OV - PHE (hot water) pump constantly whirring, but no hot water

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gledhill Boilermate Class A OV - PHE (hot water) pump constantly whirring, but no hot water

Post  pduffy on Sat May 02, 2015 6:42 am

I found a leak last night on a radiator, I think corrosion has caused a hole in the radiator, so I've ordered a new one to fit tomorrow. I closed both valves to the radiator last night to isolate and stop it leaking.
This morning just after getting up, the PHE pump started whirring loudly and hasn't stopped since, apart from when I've turned off the boilermate or unplugged the pump. There is no hot water supply going to taps upstairs or downstairs.
I've checked the central heating, and this is working ok, apart form the leaky radiator obviously.
What could be causing this problem, is there a fix so that I can get my hot water back on?

thanks.

pduffy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gledhill Boilermate Class A OV - PHE (hot water) pump constantly whirring, but no hot water

Post  mike on Sun May 03, 2015 4:09 pm

Checked the fault codes?
Mike

mike

View user profile http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Gledhill Boilermate Class A OV - PHE (hot water) pump constantly whirring, but no hot water

Post  pduffy on Sun May 03, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi Mike,

Yes, there are a couple of 29s on the c01 and c02, but the board was fine up til yesterday, and I can;t imagine it was a coincidence with the leaked out rad. I looked at the f&e in the loft and it is pretty gunked up, I wonder if it's blocked? Also, I pushed the float all the way down and there was never any water coming out? I wonder if the leaky rad just drained out the system and it hasn't been able to refill? What am I looking at do you think?

Paul

pduffy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mike on Sun May 03, 2015 4:21 pm

Well you need to clean the F & E out.
Sort out the ball valve.
Then put hose on unit and see if it takes water from F &E
You have water coming out of the hot taps?
Just not hot?
Is the unit hot?
Is the boiler on max?
Mike

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  pduffy on Mon May 04, 2015 1:59 am

Hi Mike,

I've manually fed the feed line from a jug and it must be blocked quite badly as it won't take a drop of water. When you say put a hose on the unit, what do you mean, can I add water to the actual unit and bypass the probable block from the f and e? Can I replace with any toilet ball valve, it looks like an old type one? Are the 29s on the fault codes telling me about the block/lock, I can;t be sure because it was hard to work out without a corresponding chart?
Yes the water is getting through to the taps, the hot water from the tank just isn't cycling through the heat exchanger, doesn't feel like there's much water in it at all. Unit itself is as warm as it normally is, sensors all giving correct temps if I let it warm up, but does seem low on water. Boiler I've not touched, but yes it's on max.

Cheers,

Paul

pduffy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mike on Mon May 04, 2015 6:16 am

Did you clean the F & E out?
I said put a hose on the unit, open & see if water goes down from F & E.
If it does not stop.
Why not try clearing the blockage?
The ball valve you need is a part 2 ball valve.
Available any where.
Perhaps you may need some help / or to get someone in.
Mike

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  pduffy on Mon May 04, 2015 6:36 am

Cheers Mike,

Still need to clean the F and E out (how do you recommend I do that by the way, just scoop out the water while the system is off and then scrape the crap out of the empty tank?), but managed to loosen something in the cold feed so I've refilled the tank manually now out of a jug so hot water working again, thank god. I think the problem was the ball valve stuck closed and when the leaking rad drained out all over the landing it didn't refill the f&e tank, so I'll replace that and clean out the tank and see about a service or something.
Thanks a lot again for your help Mike, between you and the installer's manual I think I understand the system better now. Gledhill really need to make the manual a bit clearer because it is clear as mud to a newcomer, but once you know a tiny bit it all gradually starts becoming slightly clearer, it's actually no where near as complex as it looks.

pduffy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top