PLEASE HELP! Electramate 2000 9KW AEC2020

Go down

PLEASE HELP! Electramate 2000 9KW AEC2020

Post  Maclarkk on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:16 am

Hi all, hoping someone can help!

I came across this website after experiencing weird issues with my boiler.

The main issue that concerns me is that the pressure will drop on occasion, down close to 0 bar. I top it up to 1 bar, but then 2 days later the pressure can sometimes be right up way over 3 bar.

An example, yesterday night my boiler pressure was around 1 bar, content with this, I went to bed. This morning I have woken up and turned the heating on, as soon as I did, there was a “bubbling” or water filling sound. I went down to the boiler and noticed the pressure was at 0 bar, but still running! So I ran upstairs to turn the heating back off and then I used the little tap to top it back up to 1 bar. I seem to still have running hot water so don’t think the unit has shut off.

Having said this, the boiler does seem to operate relatively well, and I always have hot water. However, there has been a few times where the boiler has switched off and I’ve had to top up the pressure and reset the boiler - which obviously means that there is something wrong with my unit.

I have a care package with Gledhill Response but all they have identified is a small leak in the “pump”, and the engineer has even said that it’s unlikely to cause the pressure to drop as erratically as it is. But they are very keen to try and fix it, because they know that due to being brittle, the unit will end up breaking during repair, and they will have to replace the whole system with a new model. Which is frustrating because I have running hot water!

It’s gone so far that the sales team keep phoning me to replace the unit, not to even try to fix the fault!

Am I topping up the boiler at the wrong time? Is the pressure meant to drop when water is being heated? Which is making me get confused as to what the real pressure is? Am I meant to have to top it up as often as once a week?

I’m just so confused and worried that the boiler is going to blow up in my face!

I am prepared to pay someone a call out charge to give me an honest answer on what may be causing my issues!

Please help.

Thanks

Mike

Maclarkk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PLEASE HELP! Electramate 2000 9KW AEC2020

Post  mike on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:59 pm

Well it is losing pressure somewhere.

Is it losing / dripping at the tun dish?

Is the Expansion vessel losing pressure?

When heating up the expansion tank takes the expansion.

What age is it?

Mike
MGC /H2O
Norfolk

mike

View user profile http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Maclarkk on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:09 pm

Hi Mike

Many thanks for the fast reply!

I am not sure what the tun dish is, however I’ve googled it and think I found it but it seems dry. Is this something a Gledhil engineer would check?

In regards to the area of lost pressure, all I know is that whatever the bar gauge is reporting is the area that is losing pressure. I presume this is the expansion bay that the gauge is measuring?

The boiler was installed in 2001!!

Thanks for confirming that. Maybe I am repressurising the unit when it is already trying to heat up? Thus the pressure shoots up after topping it up?

One other thing I forgot to mention, the problem seems to happen a lot more/faster when I use the system for central heating. When I don’t turn the heating on the boiler takes a lot longer to lose pressure.

Kind regards

Mike

Maclarkk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mike on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:19 pm

You need to check the system for air
Bleed and refill if required.
When cold the pressure will be at what ever the recommended setting is?

When hot it will rise.

If you are putting too much in
Then during the night it might be expanding and discharging

Start from scratch, read the book more so on commissioning.

And go from there.

Mike

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Maclarkk on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Hi Mike

I’m afraid I don’t really understand anything about that. Slightly embarrassing, but I’m terrible with this sort of thing.

Unfortunately now, the unit is consistently losing 1 bar of pressure every day. Every evening when I get in from work I’m having to top the pressure back up to 1 bar or it will cut out over night. Because I’m topping up every day, this makes me think that I’m not over filling it, because if I was it wouldn’t stop down to nearly 0 every day.

There is no liquid anywhere, the cupboard seems dry and not humid, and the carpet is bone dry (albeit there are stains from historic leaks).

The boiler also seems to be turning on around 4pm, I can see from my smart meter. Not sure if this is normal either?

Mike, what would be your price to come to Southampton and give me some independent advice on this unit?

Sorry if that’s cheeky but I really want to get a second opinion on this boiler from someone who knows what they’re talking about.

Cheers

Mike

Maclarkk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mike on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:22 pm

No Southampton is to far for me.

Perhaps your expansion vessel has failed.

Have you tried Gledhill Response for a fixed price repair which if they will would include a years breakdown cover.

British Gas may offer the same too.

Or Google up Gledhill repairs in your area and include the unit name too.

If you are lucky, Google up about the company etc. Check any reviews etc.

Gledhill if they can not help may recommend someone for your area.

Mike

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum