Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boilermate OV A : frequent auto water topping up normal?

2 posters

Go down

Boilermate OV A : frequent auto water topping up normal? Empty Boilermate OV A : frequent auto water topping up normal?

Post  SPENCERPRITCHARD Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:04 am

I hear water being topped up (not timed it but guessing it's about every hour or so ) over 1-2 seconds as if on an auto top up. I assume the unit is therefore leaking to drain somewhere? C Heating is off and have hot water with no issues. Separate Glow Worm boiler unit showing 64 Degs C for water and C heating thermostat set <10 Degs. Do I have a water leak from the unit? Be greatful for advice.

SPENCERPRITCHARD

Back to top Go down

Boilermate OV A : frequent auto water topping up normal? Empty Re: Boilermate OV A : frequent auto water topping up normal?

Post  Midland Boilercare Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:41 am

Hi

If the unit is topping itself up then it is loosing water somewhere. It is easier to narrow it down to 1] the Gledhill unit, 2] the Glow-worm boiler, and 3] the heating system/pipework.
Exactly which one it is can be difficult to establish, however the Gledhill can leak internally and you may not be aware of it for quite some time.

The Gledhill is basically constructed of a copper cylinder with multiple connections into it. This is is then housed inside a light steel casing and the space between the case and the cylinder is filled with polyurethane foam which acts like a sponge to any water leaking internally. Once the foam reaches saturation point, the water will start to emerge from the casing. Start by looking for any signs of water leaking from openings in the Boilermate casing (eg where pipes come through the steel case etc).

If left without finding the cause of water loss, then long term damage may occur to the heating system.
Midland Boilercare
Midland Boilercare

http://www.midlandboilercare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Boilermate OV A : frequent auto water topping up normal? Empty Thanks - issue sorted !

Post  SPENCERPRITCHARD Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:35 pm

Thank you for the detailed reply. In the end though it was nothing to do with the Gledhill unit or boiler. The root cause was actually a leaking cistern flush - and the topping up was the cistern infill! ( discovered that when I happened to be stood right next to the toilet when it topped up.) Resolved the leak with a new seal on the bottom of the Geberit siphon unit.

SPENCERPRITCHARD

Back to top Go down

Boilermate OV A : frequent auto water topping up normal? Empty Re: Boilermate OV A : frequent auto water topping up normal?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down