Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hot water from cold tap

2 posters

Go down

Hot water from cold tap Empty Hot water from cold tap

Post  laney1226 Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:39 pm

Problem I have, is there is hot (scalding water) coming out of the cold tap, it has been warm before, usually around this time of year when the temperature is really cold. Need to find a plumber in Manchester that knows what they are doing with Pulsacoil 2000 and doesn't charge the earth.
There are three other flats with the same problem.

Any recomendations welcome

Cheers

laney1226

Back to top Go down

Hot water from cold tap Empty Re: Hot water from cold tap

Post  Mike the Boilerman Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:47 am

Hi laney,

This is caused by the non return valves in your shower mixer jamming OPEN. There 'should' be isolating valves in the pipes feeding the shower. Close them and the fault will go away. Otherwise remove the mixer and cap the pipes to test if I'm right.

The valves are there to prevent cross-flow from hot to cold which give exactly the problem you describe.

Cheers, Mike

Mike the Boilerman
Admin

https://gledhill-repairs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Hot water from cold tap Empty Hot water from cold taps

Post  laney1226 Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice. I fitted a check valve on the cold water supply to the shower which has stopped the hot water coming back through other taps and filling the toilet. However, another problem I had forgotten about, the shower mixer temperature dial turns itself from the full cold position towards the hot! and even when the shower temp is held on full cold the shower runs luke warm. The hot water comes out of the taps & shower at an incredible rate and fills the bath in minutes! Surely this pressure from the hot water isn't correct and must have something to do with the shower issue? Can the hot water pressure be reduced on the bolier or is it the pressure in to my flat that needs sorting?

Cheers Laney

laney1226

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike the Boilerman Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:15 am

Hi agin Laney,

Yes this a problem with excessive water pressure arriving at the flat. A pressure regulator set to about 3.0 Bar is needed immediately after your incoming mains stopcock.

Cheers, Mike

Mike the Boilerman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  laney1226 Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:58 am

Morining Mike,

Now that the weather temperature has dropped I'm getting hot water through my cold tap again despite fitting a non return valve on the cold feed to the shower??? Any ideas or do you know of any good Pulsacoil 2000 engineers that cover Manchester?

Cheers

laney1226

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike the Boilerman Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:57 am

Hi again laney,

That's annoying. Are you saying it worked initially then the problem returned?

Whatever the cause, we can be virtually certain that the fault lies wherever the hot and cold pipes both connect into a single water fitting. There is no other way for hot water to get into a cold pipe (other than by static water in a cold pipe being warmed up by an unexpected heat source like a radiator, or a hot by beside it). Do you have any other shower mixers in the flat? Or maybe your new NRV has now failed!

I don't know of anyone in Manchester I can recommend. Maybe David at Midland Boiler Care covers your area. Find him on this board in the 'adverts' board.

Cheers, Mike

Mike the Boilerman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down