Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Green light only switches off in 'Summer' Range

2 posters

Go down

Green light only switches off in 'Summer' Range Empty Green light only switches off in 'Summer' Range

Post  Codenamechicken Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:11 am

Hey guys,

I just moved into my house and found out quite quickly how much of a nightmare these things are!

The efficient running light only seems to turn off when I switch the dial to the 'Summer' range. I've left it on maximum for days to make sure it wasn't me being impatient waiting for the tank to heat but no matter how long I leave it the green light will stay on until I turn it to 'Summer'. While the green light is on the pump is running, once in 'summer' and left for 5 minutes the green light goes off and the pump stops.

This suggests to me its having issues realising how hot the water inside the tank is, as the tank itself feels VERY warm. By process of elimination I'm leaning towards a faulty/damaged thermostat, would you recommend changing this or does the problem seem deeper?

Cheers,

steve.

Codenamechicken

Back to top Go down

Green light only switches off in 'Summer' Range Empty Re: Green light only switches off in 'Summer' Range

Post  Midland Boilercare Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:08 pm

Hi Steve

The first thing to do is to check that the thermostat on your central heating boiler is set to MAXIMUM. If this is turned down, the Gledhill will never get up to temperature and will keep the green light on and the boiler/pump will continue to be told to keep running as the Gledhill unit thinks it is not hot enough.
The Gledhill unit can only get as hot as the central heating boiler thermostat allows it to get.
Midland Boilercare
Midland Boilercare

http://www.midlandboilercare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Green light only switches off in 'Summer' Range Empty Re: Green light only switches off in 'Summer' Range

Post  Codenamechicken Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:41 am

Hi David,

My central heating boiler is set to maximum, I've left the boilermate 2 dial on full for days but it appears the green light will only ever switch off in the 'summer' region of the dial. I have two theories really:

A. The water in the tank is never getting hot enough to allow 'efficient running' in the winter region.

B. The thermostat controlling the dial on the boilermate 2 is broken and it only ever registers as being slightly warm, regardless of how warm the actual tank is.

I don't know if these are common issues or what I would need to do to slove it?

Cheers,

Steve.

Codenamechicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Midland Boilercare Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:12 am

Hi Steve

Thanks for the additional information. There are two probable causes to this.

1] The thermostat on the Gledhill Boilermate 2 is reading incorrectly.
2] The thermostat control on the boiler is reading incorrectly.

The only way to determine which one is at fault is by using a digital thermometer in the sensing pocket of the Gledhill to check the exact temperature of the unit, and to use the same method for checking the boilerm thermostat.

I would advise that you get a "Gas Safe Registered" engineer (as work will be required on the gas boiler) who is conversant with Gledhill products to carry out the checks and replace whichever temperature control is incorrect.
Midland Boilercare
Midland Boilercare

http://www.midlandboilercare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down