PulsaCoil - do you need to be certified to work on it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

PulsaCoil - do you need to be certified to work on it?

Post  PulsaCoilOriginal on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:42 am

Hi,

I've just had a plumber say that he was unable to help with my PulsaCoil problem because he wasn't "certificated with mains pressure hot water systems". Is this really a requirement?

I've done some internet searches and found that "Vented systems do not need certification." (http://www.gasapplianceguide.co.uk/Mains_Pressure_Hot_Water_Systems.htm). My PulsaCoil leaflet says that it's an "open vented mains pressure system", so I'm wondering if I've been advised correctly.

I'd be grateful if anyone can clear this up for me.

Jonathan

PulsaCoilOriginal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Vented or unvented

Post  Southampton Technician on Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:50 pm

The pulsacoil is vented and stores hot water to be used in a heat exchanger to heat mains cold water, giving you mains preasure hot water. Engineers need to be certified for unvented water heaters, which heat water in a pressuried cylinder, and have to have safety valves, (pressure & temperature relief valves and pressure reducing valve and a metal drain etc) all provided as a kit from the manufacturer. See list of engineers on this home page for your area. Hope this helps Paul.

Southampton Technician

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Vented

Post  PulsaCoilOriginal on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:16 am

Thanks, Paul. Mine is vented, so if I've understood correctly, certification is not required.

My problem was urgent, so it was very unsatisfactory to be given such unhelpful advice. It's sorted now, but I'll keep a close eye on it for the next couple of weeks and seek an engineer from this board, if required.

PulsaCoilOriginal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PulsaCoil - do you need to be certified to work on it?

Post  Midland Boilercare on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Hi Jonathan

Just to clarify what Paul has said, The Pulsacoil is an open vented unit and is not covered by the unvented water requirements of G3 (Building Regulation G, Section 3), which means that no specific certification is required in order to work on the unit.

However, having said that no specific certification is required, you should still be "competent" to work on any equiptment irrespective of what it is. This is extremely important when you consider that the Pulsacoil is an electrical unit, and electrical safety tests should be carried out to ensure the unit has been left in a safet working order upon completion of any repairs.

Hope this helps
Midland Boilercare

View user profile http://www.midlandboilercare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: PulsaCoil - do you need to be certified to work on it?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top