Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boilermate II & Potterton Suprima 50

2 posters

Go down

Boilermate II & Potterton Suprima 50 Empty Boilermate II & Potterton Suprima 50

Post  circuiman Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:44 am

Hi,

I have an unsual fault!
I was awoken the other morning to the sound of a jack hammer on tinplate coming from behind the panel on my boilermate II. I took the panel off and found that the relay on the delay PCB was chattering like a jackdaw.

I switched the system off, and took to the internet. It appeared to be a simple fix, just replace the PCB. The cost for a £7.50 board and combined parts was around £90!

I decided to substitute it for a solid state Omron timer unit which was about £14.00 from RS components.

I wired it in, and fired it up - it works fine until demand from the boiler ceases. The thing also rattles, and I note the neon is dimly lit. I have elimiated the thermostat from the equation, and also the pump. I note that I draw 42V on the switched live into the delay, after the boiler has shut off which is giving a feedback, and keeping the unit energised. I suspect the original PCB is fine, and it was the 42V making it chatter too.

Where on earth can this 42V be coming from?

circuiman

Back to top Go down

Boilermate II & Potterton Suprima 50 Empty Re: Boilermate II & Potterton Suprima 50

Post  Mike the Boilerman Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:33 am

Hi circuiman,

These dealy timer boards are know for maiking this alarming buzzing/rattling noise. A new board fixes it.

It 's hard to understand your post. When you say "The thing also rattles, and I note the neon is dimly lit" could you tell me what "The thing" is please? Boiler? Delay timer board? Something else?

If you are measuring 42Vac on the switched live into the boiler pump delay timer, then surely it is only a question of disconnecting the lead from it and measuring the voltage again to trace the source. It may be coming from the Suprima control board switched live terminal, or it may still be present on the delay timer terminal with nothing connected.

Try disconnecting the boiler switched live and testing again.

Cheers, Mike

Mike the Boilerman
Admin

https://gledhill-repairs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down