Crazy Pulsacoil 2000

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Crazy Pulsacoil 2000

Post  romy_m on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:21 am

Hi,

I've moved into a flat which has a Pulsacoil 2000 with my sister last month. We haven't had a great experience with it: a few days after moving in, there was no hot water. An engineer came around and replaced one of the sensors, and I switched the on-peak off (it had been on before that). The water became colder and colder as a few weeks passed until there was no hot water again, and the boost switch, when on, didn't work. The engineer came again, looked at it, and here it was, working again! He advised us to keep all switches on at all times. Now, a week after that, we don't have any hot water again: having called the engineer, he said to switch the main off and on again, and it seems hot water has come on again.

My questions are: is the engineer right, and do we need to have the on-peak switch on at all times (you advise we shouldn't, but he says something else)? Would that be the reason why we felt hot water becoming less and less hot until we didn't have any anymore? If the boiler is temperamental, would it make sense to switch it off and on every week to try and stop it from going crazy? When the on-peak is off, does it matter what time in the day we want to use the hot water (i.e. is it hotter in the mornings than in the evenings)?

Also, the light at the front is yellow and not green: it has been this way since we moved in. Does that impact the boiler behaviour?

Thank you so much for your help,

Alexandra

romy_m

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crazy Pulsacoil 2000

Post  Southampton Technician on Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:40 am

Hello,
This could be difficult to pin point, perhaps Mike will know. Still, my question is: when the hot water has gone cold, is the tank still hot? If so then the sensors, pump and 'circuit board' could be the cause.
If the tank temp' reduces each day until there is insufficient heat stored to heat the cold water passing through the heat exchanger, then I would look at the off peak (bottom) heater/thermostat. Is the electricity tarriff Economy 7? Regards
Paul.

Southampton Technician

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  romy_m on Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:46 pm

Hi Paul,

The tank is warm, if that makes sense: not hot, but it isn't very cold to the touch.

The Economy 7 tariff is working: it switches on at 00.30 and keeps going until 7.30. We've realised we mostly have hot water in the morning but in the afternoon and evening, nothing. We went back to having the on-peak always switched on, because it seems to maximise the probability of hot water.

The boiler has been crazier than usual this past two weeks: we're switching the main off and on almost everyday or else the water is freezing cold. Sometimes, even switching it off and on doesn't seem to produce an effect. We're not quite sure what to do.

Alexandra

romy_m

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Southampton Technician on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:25 pm

Ok, Best check that the thermostat dial under the cover of the bottom immersion heater is turned up to max, (If it is then the thermostat needs replacing) to get the water hotter on the night rate, ideally the store temp should be 75-80degC,
How much hot water are you using, and what is the volume of the pulsacoil (see label behind front panel)
Regards
Paul.

Southampton Technician

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  romy_m on Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:41 pm

Hi Paul,

We are using 20 to 30 minutes of hot water per day in two showers (usually not one after the other). The storage capacity of the Pulsacoil is 170 L and the off-peak thermostat is at its maximum. Do you think we need to get it replaced?

Thank you for all your help,

Alexandra

romy_m

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top