Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boilermate II changeover .

2 posters

Go down

Boilermate II changeover . Empty Boilermate II changeover .

Post  frankysan Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:11 am

Hi All

First of thank you very much Mike for all the good work you have put into this forum . It is very helpful indeed .
I'm sure everyone here would agree to that .

I have a number of questions to ask .

My daughter has inherited a Boilermate II Installed in a Wimpey built house , and it's about thirteen years old .
The original boiler has been replaced by a Potterton around eighteen months ago . The manifold was blocked  with sludge in the original so I had it replaced .

My first question is,As the Boilermate is mains fed are houses in small cul de sacs more prone to sludge build up ? .
I ask this because  after spending thirty five years in the Fire Service I am very aware of how much more sludge ( we called it Tuberculation ) there was when we first opened up a hydrant at the end of a cul de sac ( a dead end ) The water would run the colour of a pint of Mild  sometimes for a few minutes .
We would always  leave the hydrant open until it was clear before we would connect the hydrant to the Appliance ( pump ).

I am going to have this Boilermate changed over and I have seen your advice regarding  Standard Store Systems Direct and have been on their website . My second question is . Which is  better a direct or an indirect store  ? Does one have an advantage over the other ? .

Question three Will the entire system have to be flushed clear before installation of the new store ? .

Question four Is a sludge build likely to affect the new store ? and can the sludge be filtered in some way before entry .

Any advice gratefully received from you guys .
Kind regards to all .
Frank

frankysan

Back to top Go down

Boilermate II changeover . Empty Re: Boilermate II changeover .

Post  Mario.S Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:58 am

frankysan wrote:Hi All

First of thank you very much Mike for all the good work you have put into this forum . It is very helpful indeed .
I'm sure everyone here would agree to that .

I have a number of questions to ask .

My daughter has inherited a Boilermate II Installed in a Wimpey built house , and it's about thirteen years old .
The original boiler has been replaced by a Potterton around eighteen months ago . The manifold was blocked  with sludge in the original so I had it replaced .

My first question is,As the Boilermate is mains fed are houses in small cul de sacs more prone to sludge build up ? .
I ask this because  after spending thirty five years in the Fire Service I am very aware of how much more sludge ( we called it Tuberculation ) there was when we first opened up a hydrant at the end of a cul de sac ( a dead end ) The water would run the colour of a pint of Mild  sometimes for a few minutes .
We would always  leave the hydrant open until it was clear before we would connect the hydrant to the Appliance ( pump ).

I am going to have this Boilermate changed over and I have seen your advice regarding  Standard Store Systems Direct and have been on their website . My second question is . Which is  better a direct or an indirect store  ? Does one have an advantage over the other ? .

Question three Will the entire system have to be flushed clear before installation of the new store ? .

Question four Is a sludge build likely to affect the new store ? and can the sludge be filtered in some way before entry .

Any advice gratefully received from you guys .
Kind regards to all .
Frank
Al heating systems ( sealed or open vented) are separated from the main water supply. The build up comes from the corrosion ( radiators, cupper pipes)over the time of use and non treated systems ( no inhibiter /"Fernox").
Standard storage systems for hot water only are : pressurised or sealed vessels or open vented systems. Pressure or main pressure systems give you main pressure on all your taps ( " Power Shower"), for open vented systems ( gravity systems) you need a shower pump or shower pump system.
Direct means running with an immersion direct heated in your Cylinder, Indirect means, heated from an external ( in the kitchen) Gas / oil or LPG boiler via a coil in the cylinder.
Yes for any new installation ,I would strongly recommended a complete clean out and after the installation ( for thermal store units like your Boilermate/ the heating site on your system) a treatment with central heating system inhibiter ( "Fernox").
If a new system has to be installed, there are some heating system filter, you can fit to help reducing and filtering out the majority of sludge in the system.
I hope this helps
Kind regards Mario at Mario's Boiler Service

Mario.S

http://www.marios-boiler-service.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Boilermate II changeover . Empty BoilermatII change over

Post  frankysan Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:58 pm

Hi Mario
Sorry about the delay in replying .
First off thank you for your reply to my questions .
You have answered everything I needed to know .
Kind regards .
Frank.

frankysan

Back to top Go down

Boilermate II changeover . Empty Re: Boilermate II changeover .

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down