Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pros and cons

2 posters

Go down

Pros and cons Empty Pros and cons

Post  MDH Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:02 am

Hi

Very interesting reading through some of the questions and answers on here, have learnt a lot just scanning through.

Moved into a house with an 11 year old Boilermate 2000 last year and to be honest haven't paid much attention to it as it's been working ok until recently.

Just a couple of questions if that's ok..

1. Are they particularly efficient and reliable?

Last winter the gas bill was very high but wasn't sure if it was due to the bigger house and also it was pretty cold! I guess a lot of it would be down to the boiler (Potterton Suprima) rather than the thermal store? During summer the last quarterly bill was about £80 which didn't seem bad for a family of 4.

2. Hot water fluctuation & sensor replacement

When showering, running another tap or flushing a toilet etc results in quite a temperature and flow fluctuation. I guess that is fairly normal as they aren't thermostatically controlled. We also have a water softener which seems to reduce flow quite a bit. I guess it helps prevent the heat exhanger from scaling.

More recently though, when showering the temperature will cycle from being very hot to cold which it seems from reading through this forum, indicates one of the GT153 sensors could be faulty. I've run through the diagnostics on the board but there are no errors coming up, although there is 'H00' displayed - what does that indicate?

When changing the sensors, once the mains water is turned off, can they be changed quickly to prevent draining right down and can the header tank be left as it is? Will have a towel at the ready obviously.

The 2 sensors seem to have been fairly recently replaced as they have '03/10' tagged on both leads, and also the heat exchanger looks to have been replaced recently although I guess it's hard to tell.

Many thanks in advance.

MDH

Back to top Go down

Pros and cons Empty Re: Pros and cons

Post  Mario.S Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:35 am

Hi MDH
to Q1:
All Gledhill Thermal storage Units are quite efficient, if correct installed and set up.( remember Gas Boiler on max setting, if not, first Gas boiler on max , then switch the Boilermate once off and after 10 seconds back on again[resetting the PCB]) Last winter was of course extreme cold and depending on the Boilermate capacity ( from 125 to 225 litre) and the Gas boiler performance, yes , you use more heat and hot water, so you have to pay for it.
to Q2:
The hot water is produced via the exchanger from cold main water at incoming main pressure, so any change in the flow rate ( washing or dishwasher kicked in, toilet flush, additional tap used) will make a change in the hot water temperature for a foe moments.
H 00 : is an error of the hot water sensor ( the sensor on top of the exchanger / hot water outlet from the exchanger), so this also is the trouble maker and need replaced. The DHW sensor is on the cold mains, so no drain down. The PHE return sensor ( bottom one on the exchanger) need a part drain down, to replace. But this sensor locks ok for now if you getting a proper reading on the display from it.
regards Mario

Mario.S

http://www.marios-boiler-service.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  MDH Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:48 am

Great, thanks Mario.
All seems to be installed and set up correctly so hopefully once a new sensor is fitted things will be back to normal.
Makes sense about the 00 DHW reading, I was expecting an 'Er'.
Googling the boilermate seems to reveal many tales of woe but I guess most of these problems are from incorrect installation and lack of knowledge.

MDH

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario.S Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:46 pm

As I am doing repairs on Gledhill boiler professionally since 1998 ( until 2011 direct as senior engineer for Gledhill's), I come across so often where the householder has called out already 2 plumbers and an electrician, and none of them has any idea what to do. Most of the so called Boiler repair chaps are able to change an thermo couple bud this is the end of knowledge, or offering a new Boiler for £5000 course the Gledhill is not working correctly. As one in 4 new build properties in UK was fitted with a Gledhill Product from all major house building companies, there are thousands of those around. If those products was so crap made, why Gledhill sold so many? The company went in to liquidation in 2008 course almost all major building companies went in to bust as well, so there was no market anymore, and if you have 300 employees in a factory making boiler where all of a sudden no new houses where build , how long can you survive? Well, you still get all parts for Gledhill Boilermate , Systemate, Electramate or Pulsacoil, as there is Gledhill Parts and some adequate replacement boiler from Gledhill BP ( Building Products). Those Gledhill products are not over complicated, just a bit more clever made, at least for my taste.
kind regards Master Mario

Mario.S

http://www.marios-boiler-service.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  MDH Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:24 pm

Just an update, new sensor fitted, all working ok.

Both sensors were dated 2010 so I guess they don't last long?

MDH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum