Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boilermate II - Overnight shutdown

3 posters

Go down

Boilermate II - Overnight shutdown Empty Boilermate II - Overnight shutdown

Post  SidDIYer Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi all,

I want to install an overnight shutdown as per Appendix 2 of the manual.  Can someone recommend a make/model of timer that I should use?  I don't use enough hot water to warrant the system being primed all the time.  The boiler is an Ideal Classic.

Thanks.

SidDIYer

Back to top Go down

Boilermate II - Overnight shutdown Empty Re: Boilermate II - Overnight shutdown

Post  mike Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:45 pm

Any 1 channel timer.
I prefer Honeywell products.
Mike

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  SidDIYer Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:52 am

Thanks - I had a timer fitted and set it for overnight shutdown and to shutdown during the day as well.  It is currently saving me about 25% on my summer gas usage.  We'll see what happens during winter - obviously the timings will need to be changed to match the central heating on and off times.

SidDIYer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guizado Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:56 am

I am going to do this with the Nest Thermostat, my only question was really if this was efficient to do, do you know what is the minimum time to shutdown the system for this to be efficient?
What I mean with this is, if obviously the system gets shutdown, when it comes back on it needs to warm the whole water back again, whereas if its on it only needs to keep it Hot, so the question is really when does it start being efficient to turn it down, how many hours does it need to be off for it to be more efficient, surely if its only for 1 or 2 hours it would not be very efficient.

Best Thanks,

Guizado

Back to top Go down

Post  SidDIYer Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:52 pm

I set the timer to only run during the morning and the evening when I needed hot water and heating. Having tracked gas usage it saved a bit (about 5%) but not enough to make it worthwhile in my opinion. I have now set the timer to override-permanently-on which basically sets it back to how it was before I installed the timer.

SidDIYer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guizado Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:08 pm

Do you know if the hot water is heated on demand?, or does it use hot water stored in the BoilerMate?
I know for Central heating it will used stored water, not sure if how it works for hot water.

Thanks

Guizado

Back to top Go down

Post  SidDIYer Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:30 pm

The hot water that goes to your taps is heated "on demand" by a process of heat exchange as the cold feed passes through the thermal store in a coil. Thus the hotter the store is the better.

Running a shower/bath cools the thermal store down pretty quickly which is why it is not really practical to have the thermal store shutdown when you need to wash.

SidDIYer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guizado Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:37 pm

Thanks for that makes sense, so it depends on the water stored, regardless i don't plan on having the Hot Water off when I am at home, we leave home at 6:00AM and only come back at 5:00PM, so I am thinking on turning off the water between 4:30AM and 6:00AM in the morning for when we wake up only to wash our faces etc as we take showers at night instead of in the morning, then I will turn it on at 4:00PM, 1 hour before we get home so the water is warm and we have Hot Water, obviously I will adjust timings dependent on how long it takes to be at the temperature we want when we get home.

Thanks for your help.

Guizado

Back to top Go down

Post  SidDIYer Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:42 pm

Don't forget that your timings need to correlate with your central heating timings as well, otherwise you will just be pumping luke warm water around the radiators.

Just to be clear, the water in the boiler mate never goes to the taps.

SidDIYer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guizado Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:43 pm

Yes, off course the Central Heating can only be on when the Hot Water is, otherwise it wont warm up the house.

Thanks

Guizado

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down