Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Additives. Boilermate 2000 & ideal classic boiler

2 posters

Go down

Additives. Boilermate 2000 & ideal classic boiler Empty Additives. Boilermate 2000 & ideal classic boiler

Post  lenny21 Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:48 pm

I have just fitted a new fan to my boiler and want to get it all sorted before full winter sets in. I did a full cleaner and drained then I refilled and added inhibitors and silencer. My question is is this something you do yearly or just when you drain the system down. Thanks

lenny21

Back to top Go down

Additives. Boilermate 2000 & ideal classic boiler Empty Re: Additives. Boilermate 2000 & ideal classic boiler

Post  GrantF Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:27 am

You have the same setup as me, so out of interest, what products did you use, and how did you find them to use?

My system is 16 years old and hasnt been drained down in about 4 years, so I'm about to do a system clean using Sentinel X400 (2 litres), and leave that in for about a week (maybe 2 depending on the weather), then drain the system and whilst it refills, add in 2L of Sentinel X100 as the inhibitor.

What's the 'silencer' you mention?

GrantF

Back to top Go down

Additives. Boilermate 2000 & ideal classic boiler Empty Re: Additives. Boilermate 2000 & ideal classic boiler

Post  lenny21 Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:30 am

Hi Grant.

I used exactly what you’ve said I used all the sentinel ones. All purchased from screwfix I got them all on offer I also bought a repair solution for leaks but my godson said only use if I need to. I love in a 3 story so I have 14 or 16 rads can’t remember which so I needed two as it’s 10 radiators per bottle. I drained the system using my hall radiator outlet but I did it because I fitted two new pumps and four new valves and a new pcb as mine had gone. Luckily there’s a lovely man on here called Murray who reconditions them at a fraction of the price of a brand new one. I’ve bought new to go in but leaving it a while longer before I do it again. Just fitted a new fan to my ideal classic boiler and that’s made it a lot quieter too. The cleaning solution I left in for four weeks and then drained off the system and re filled twice. Good luck. If you’ve any questions just shout but I have to admit I’m no expert just a desperate woman with limited funds to pay for the work of a plumber if it’s some thing I can manage myself lol. Regards. Sharlene

lenny21

Back to top Go down

Post  lenny21 Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:10 pm

Hi Grant.

I used exactly what you’ve said I used all the sentinel ones. All purchased from screwfix I got them all on offer I also bought a repair solution for leaks but my godson said only use if I need to. I love in a 3 story so I have 14 or 16 rads can’t remember which so I needed two as it’s 10 radiators per bottle. I drained the system using my hall radiator outlet but I did it because I fitted two new pumps and four new valves and a new pcb as mine had gone. Luckily there’s a lovely man on here called Murray who reconditions them at a fraction of the price of a brand new one. I’ve bought new to go in but leaving it a while longer before I do it again. Just fitted a new fan to my ideal classic boiler and that’s made it a lot quieter too. The cleaning solution I left in for four weeks and then drained off the system and re filled twice. Good luck. If you’ve any questions just shout but I have to admit I’m no expert just a desperate woman with limited funds to pay for the work of a plumber if it’s some thing I can manage myself lol. Regards. Sharlene Just checked They’re still on offer 2 for £25 so may be worth a look. Just ordered some cleaner and going to do mine again as it hasn’t been done last year.

lenny21

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantF Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:31 pm

Hi Sharlene,

Yep, I had already ordered it, as it seems a good offer and I need two 1L bottles of each.
My thinking is that I'll drain the system down change a TRV valve which I suspect is dodgy and also add a radiator tail extension so my smart TRV can fit with my radiator surround. I'll then refill it and add the X400 cleaner. Run that through it for a few weeks and then drop the water out again with any dislodged crud.
Then do another refill and add the inhibitor and hopefully that's me done for a year.

I've used Murray a few times in the last 6 years to repair\replace boards, and agree his service is top notch and very reasonable.

I think these systems are quite good to work on, and like you I'm just an DIY'r with some tools. I've also had to chang two pumps and a gate valve on my setup as well, and added a Spirotrap inline filter as well to try and minimise the build up throughout the system.

Thanks for the information.

Kind Regards
Grant

GrantF

Back to top Go down

Post  lenny21 Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:49 pm

Hi Grant

The silencer I think I’ve put a pic on if not it’s the sentinel x200 I think. It’s supposed to help with boiler kettling the popping you can get as it’s heating up. I mainly put all I could in to aid the system as it has been neglected while I’ve been here as I didn’t know much about the system until I started investing the info lol. You sound a lot more technical than me. I looked at fitting a filter but my set up doesn’t have much scope for one fitting. Hopefully one day I’ll win the lottery and replace with a more energy efficient and economical system lol. Who knows. Good luck. And bath one year.

Regards

Sharlene

lenny21

Back to top Go down

Post  lenny21 Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:10 am

Apologies it should read happy new year lol

lenny21

GrantF likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down