Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaking Compression Elbow

2 posters

Go down

Leaking Compression Elbow Empty Leaking Compression Elbow

Post  Hawkeye Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:52 am

Hi

My Boilermate A Class (SP model I think) has a seeping joint on the "Primary Flow To Boiler".

To be honest it has been going on for a while, and there was crust all over the pipe, but it seemed to be a very minimal leak and may even have sealed itself.

Periodically I have had to top up the System via the RED bottle Filler loop - I can't remember the name.

I think it should be 1.5 bar with the system off.

Anyway the other day I was in the cupboard and the pipe felt damp, as if the leak was getting worse.

So I decided to try and sort it out.

I scraped all the crust off and cleaned the pipe to try and see the wood for the trees and decided to try and nip the joint.

This was made difficult due the the proximity of the fitting to the left on one side and the drain on the other.

Anyway it would not go any tighter, but I must have nudged the fitting out of alignment as it started dripping from the too part of the joint near the rubber gromet.

So I was now losing a take away container of liquid every 8 hours or so.

I decided to try and undo the dripping joint and add some ptfe around the olive and remake, but I can't get a spanner on it.

Plus I would probably lose the contents of the thermal store while I try.

I tried to straighten the assembly and it made it worse when I bent it a bit one way and then better the other way.

I have now added some LS-X which may stop the drip (but I doubt it).

So am looking at getting a plumber in to replace the elbow, which will involve I guess draining the system.

But I know a lot of plumbers are not familiar with the system, so I wanted a better understanding of what is involved, so I can explain what I want.

Is the thermal store and radiator water the same type.

I.e. it is all treated with inhibitor (in our case Sentinel).

There is a drain point on the thermal store and downstairs on the boiler.

I think if the water in the thermal store/radiator loop loses water, then you top up via the fill loop ?

Obviously that extra water does not contain inhibitor so the system will be diluted over time.

There is an F&E Tank on top of the unit.

No clue how it works other than to somehow vent extra fluid (I would guess that if too much pressure, then a pressure valve would allow liquid to go into it).

It is warm and has a bit of blue looking water in it - below the level of the lower pipe.

I would post pictures if I could.

When I select the radiators on via the room stat, I guess a valve opens to allow the shared thermal store water to circulate round the radiators and back via the boiler?

If the room stat is off, then to me that part of the circuit would be closed ?

I guess what I want to know really is if I drain the system will I lose all the radiator water as well as the thermal store water ?

I had read somewhere about clogged cold feed pipe, and problems refilling the system.

But that seemed to be boilermate 2000.

To me, the system would re-fill via the RED Tank filler. I guess inhibitor could be added via a radiator with a kit that injects it.

All speculation on my part.

As far as I can tell, there is no leak on the thermal store itself, just the elbow joint leak.

So if anyone can advise, I would appreciate it.

Hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Leaking Compression Elbow Empty Diagram

Post  mmartin Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:23 am

Hi there is a link to the manual for the unit below.  It has a water circuit diagram which shows how it works.  From a quick look it seems that it has a sealed pressurized system for the heating radiators, this also has a heating coil to heat the water in the tank.  The water in the tank is kept topped up via the tank on the top.  Hot water uses the stored hot water in the tank to heat mains cold water via the heat exchanger.  This should mean that the water in the tank does not mix with domestic hot water, which means it can have treatment in it.  Show the heating guy the diagram he should be able to figure out which circuit the leak is in.  Given that you are loosing pressure on the sealed side I guess it is in that circuit.  There is a cabinet layout in the manual as well which might help.  Treatments can be added to the sealed side via a radiator, Screwfix and others do a little filling kit that fits on bottes and screws into a radiator, you drain some water out the rad and replace with treatment, bit of a phaf but doable.  https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-universal-filling-kit-5-pcs/8145k        Manual - http://www.gledhill-spares.net/documents/BMAClassSP-Iss6.pdf

mmartin

http://www.murraymartin.co.uk

Hawkeye likes this post

Back to top Go down

Leaking Compression Elbow Empty Re: Leaking Compression Elbow

Post  Hawkeye Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:55 am

Hi
Thanks for the reply.

It would appear from the diagram that there is an internal coil running through the middle of the Thermal Store water that goes to and from the boiler.

The heated water in that coil transfers heat to the thermal store (and if the Thermal Store overheats it can expand into the F&E) ?

But - It also looks like the radiators share the water in the coil and is ported via valves as required.

I was kind of hoping that it might be possible to lock the radiators off (close valve on left of radiator) and wind TRV to zero on right and this may prevent losing water out of the radiators (so just lose what is in the feed pipes).

I also thought that as the 2 or 3 port valves open and shut to allow water into the radiators if the room stat demands heat, that in 1 position, there would be no flow to and from the radiators ?

I could then open the damaged joint, catch any water that came out and repair / replace without draining the complete system.

But if it is anything like the hydraulic rigs I work with, as soon as one end is open to air you get a syphon affect and fluid still comes out.

I am not getting much joy advertising the job (1 possible response).

I reached out to Mike the Boilerman (as he covers my area) via email and phone but got no response.

Anyway

Thanks for the response

Hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Leaking Compression Elbow Empty Re: Leaking Compression Elbow

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down