Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installing Immersion, ? Tight or Seized blanking plug

2 posters

Go down

Installing Immersion, ? Tight or Seized blanking plug Empty Installing Immersion, ? Tight or Seized blanking plug

Post  keithm Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:24 am

Hi
I'm not sure if there are any thoughts about my concerns regarding use of a lot of force on boilermate fittings. I started to install an immersion into a boilermate that didn't previously have one. However the blanking plug is very tight and I've not been able to loosen it using a wrench or spanner ? 32mm head on the plug. While I could apply more pressure or use an extension on the spanner as the fitting already appears somewhat flexible I'm concerned about possible damage to the tank if I continue, I'm quite hefty so can usually manage to get most things loosened. Having looked at the fitting it seems to have something like plumbers mate on the flange rather than just a gasket. Any advice on how people have managed to fit an immersion would be welcomed, ? use an impact wrench or tapping with a hammer rather than just a turning force?

keithm

Back to top Go down

Installing Immersion, ? Tight or Seized blanking plug Empty Stitch drill

Post  geetee50 Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:53 am

Hi treat it the same as most cylinders, with great care! if it seems too tight to turn then stitch drill a line of 4mm holes about 10mm in from each side to avoid the threads, then use a metal blade to cut close to the sides, give it the same pressure on the spanner and hey presto.

geetee50

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum