Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Switch Confusion

3 posters

Go down

Switch Confusion Empty Switch Confusion

Post  daughter in law Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:17 am

How do I know which switch is which? I have 3 switches for the Pulsa Coil. I am guessing one is for Economy 7 and two are for the 2 tanks. As far as I know, all three have always been on but current hot water usage is minimal and I think I am wasting electricity. Can anyone help?

daughter in law

Back to top Go down

Switch Confusion Empty Re: Switch Confusion

Post  Southampton Technician Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:10 pm

Hello,
There should be a manual in the front panel pocket or failing that on the back of the front panel. That said one switch is for the Economy 7 and is only live when the cheap rate is on (whole house goes cheap rate with E7)
That leaves two switches, One is only for the boost and should be left off normally. the remaining switch is 24hrs power for the circuit board pump etc, turning this off with extingish all the lights and controls and stop the unit responding to the hot taps. Tip often the switch for the controls has a fuse holder built in, and the other two do not.

Southampton Technician

Back to top Go down

Post  daughter in law Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:59 am

thank you, thank you. I took off the front panel and found treasure; diagrams, instructions and scribbled notes from the last repair in 2006. The notes say "No separate O/Heat T/Stat" and "Both heaters fitted with combined control manual" and something I think says "Reset Programs". I was also able to identify the control switch thanks to your tip.

daughter in law

Back to top Go down

Post  Southampton Technician Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:50 pm

Hi,
Now you know which switch is which why not label them. Sounds like the thermostats within the immersion heaters were replaced with combined control thermostats, and secondary overheat thermostats. The former controls the heater switching it on and off as required by temperature and the second will switch off the heater if the control thermostat fails, however to get it going again it wll require a manual reset, usually by pressing a tidy coloured pin back into the thermostat housing. If the bottom heater is working then there should be plenty of hot water from the off peak (night rate) charge.
Regards
Paul.

Southampton Technician

Back to top Go down

Post  daughter in law Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:08 am

switch labeling done. I feel I am regaining control over this beast thanks to you. Do you mind one more question? If the flat is vacant for 3 months at a time, which of the switches can I safely turn off or not?

daughter in law

Back to top Go down

Switch Confusion Empty You can get a better understanding with the self check guide

Post  sunny.sahdev Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:53 am

Hi,

It will also be worth requesting the self check Pulsacoil mini guide which will help you understand your system and do basic fault repairs without technical knowledge. You can request it via this link: Pulsacoil 2000

sunny.sahdev

http://www.vedhas.co.uk/vedhas-what-we-do/pulsacoil-repair/#

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down