Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using a Programmable Room Thermostat

4 posters

Go down

Using a Programmable Room Thermostat Empty Using a Programmable Room Thermostat

Post  Trumble Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:41 am

Firstly, what a great site this is. I've just moved into a house with a 12 year old Boilermate II and have gone from thinking "wtf is THAT?" to understanding what it is, how it works and what all those connections are in a week. Fingers crossed that its been well maintained (there's a service sticker on the boiler from June this year) but at least I'm well armed if (when) something goes wrong.

I got up this morning and the house was freezing. Not because of the Boilermate but because the Potterton PRT100 room thermostat hadn't tripped (it was set to 21 but I had to wind it down to about 12 to get it to kick in). Rather than simply replacing it with another cheapo thermostat would it be a good move to replace it with a digital programmable room thermostat and simply leave the timer (its the mechanical type) on the boilermate in the 'on' position? I was thinking one of these (chosen as much for their looks as their functionality :-):

Heatmiser PRT-TS

Myson MPRT

Salus RT500

Or can someone recommend something better?

Thx,

Col

Trumble

Back to top Go down

Using a Programmable Room Thermostat Empty Re: Using a Programmable Room Thermostat

Post  mike Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:18 pm

Honey well make a good choice.
Best on the market.

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Using a Programmable Room Thermostat Empty Re: Using a Programmable Room Thermostat

Post  Trumble Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add the Honeywell CM907 to my list.

What makes them so good?

Trumble

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:27 pm

The name Honeywell
Easy to fit
Easy to use
Not the cheapest though!

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Trumble Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:10 pm

I've ordered the Honeywell CM907. Wasn't that much more expensive than the others.

Now I just have to remember where I read how to connect it up...

Trumble

Back to top Go down

Post  pjd Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:39 am

Trumble wrote:I've ordered the Honeywell CM907. Wasn't that much more expensive than the others.

Now I just have to remember where I read how to connect it up...

Honeywell have an excellent website where you can view and download wiring systems alternatively email their tech section and they are very quick to reply, I've used them a few times myself.

pjd

Back to top Go down

Post  Trumble Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:54 am

Thanks. Actually connected it up today.

Figured out that A = TL (thermostat live) and B = H (heating demand) from the old thermostat. Taped over the neutral wire and tucked it away.

Nothing went bang and it seems to be working OK. Just need to get it to the point where I don't have to fiddle with it (and believe what it tells me the temp in the hallway is).

Trumble

Back to top Go down

Post  Twise41 Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:27 am

Hi - apologies firstly for re-opening an old thread

I've just found this forum which is a godsend as I now have a much better understanding of the boilermate 2 :-)

This particular thread covers exactly what I want to do, so a few quick questions:

1) is the Honeywell Cm907 still the thermostat of choice?
2) I have a Potterton PR2 thermostat at the moment but it has four wires. Red to Com, yellow to H, Brown to TL, and Blue to N. any advice on what goes where on a CM907 and what todo with any spare wire?

I will try and post a picture later if that helps.

Thanks in advance

Tony

Twise41

Back to top Go down

Post  Twise41 Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:31 am

Here is a picture, brown wire is a bit hard to see but hopefully this helps

Thanks again

https://i.servimg.com/u/f11/18/05/49/37/image10.jpgUsing a Programmable Room Thermostat Image10

Twise41

Back to top Go down

Post  Twise41 Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:41 am

Bumpity bump.. Anyone?

From what I can see the Brown TL goes to A, the Yellow H goes to B, and then you either tape up or leave a block connector on the end of the Blue Neutral and Red COM wires?

Does that sound about right?

Thanks

Twise41

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum