Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Needing a descale and mixing valve - but live in Aberdeenshire

2 posters

Go down

Needing a descale and mixing valve - but live in Aberdeenshire Empty Needing a descale and mixing valve - but live in Aberdeenshire

Post  kevin2 Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:46 am

Anyone know of any heating engineers with Boilermate experience located in the North East of Scotland?

The system is probably 15/16 yrs old, looks like it had Fernox treatment when new. We don't have hard water in the area. The hot water has over the last 6 yrs (when we bought the house) has progressively got cooler. Went to investigate yesterday and after consulting the manual, tried to adjust the mixing valve (oventrop).
Adjusting the valve makes little difference, the water temp range is from tepid to luke warm - if anything, me adjusting the valve has upset the system further and the hot water is probably even cooler than before I adjusted it - do the internals fail, has something broken or dropped off with me adjusting it?

p.s. after browsing the board, I'm away to check the cystern is working properly - when the heating is switched on I do hear a glug from the top of the cylinder, this makes me think the water level is fine - or is it?

Few questions now;

Where can I get a new mixing valve, looks like 22mm. Most of the valves I can see seem to have the hot and cold inlets opposite each other rather than at right angles like the oventrop - so I presume they're not readily available at local plumber supplies?

I can probably replace this myself, anything to watch out for when isolating, draining and refilling the system?

Lastly, anyone know of a heating engineer in NE Scotland with Boilermate experience - probably be agood idea to have a chemical descale while changing the mixing valve. New boiler is on the cards this year as well, so a descale is a must - unless I replace with a new cylinder!!

kevin2

Back to top Go down

Needing a descale and mixing valve - but live in Aberdeenshire Empty Re: Needing a descale and mixing valve - but live in Aberdeenshire

Post  Trumble Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:08 pm

I bought mine from the Electric Water Heating Company. It was about £95. I don't know what their delivery service is like as they're only up the road from me.

Alternatively, try Keep the Heat On. I ordered a thermostat from them and it arrived the next day.

To fit; turn the water main off, turn all the taps on. Once they've drained undo the old one and fit the new one, not forgetting to use the new rubber washers. Simples as a really annoying rat like animal says.

You might find you don't actually need a descale after that. I didn't (thanks btw to Mark at Thermal Solutions for the spot on advice) and where I live the water's so hard the taps go around in pairs :-)

Trumble

Back to top Go down

Needing a descale and mixing valve - but live in Aberdeenshire Empty Re: Needing a descale and mixing valve - but live in Aberdeenshire

Post  kevin2 Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:36 am

Sorted today. Ordered v/v (+ washer kit) from keeptheheaton. Arrived yesterday, tried replacing last night but the bottom fitting was seized solid. Tried using as much force as I was prepared to with an 18" Bahco spanner, even tried some heat from my blowtorch. In the end I though it wise to get someone who's used to wrestling with seized corroded 22mm fittings. Local plumber arrived first thing this morning and using a bit more brute force and supporting the v/v, it finally loosened. New v/v fitted and plenty hot water now. Will pass on the descale meantime and I'm looking to replace the boiler later this year and may just go for a bigger heatstore at the same time.

kevin2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum