Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sealing a flue water leak

4 posters

Go down

Sealing a flue water leak Empty Sealing a flue water leak

Post  roromac Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:12 am

With the long horizontal exhaust pipe, I have had a drip leak of water for what now seems like 3 years. I though it was the flat roof. Looking at the securely fixed pipe, it appears that the O ring seal was never entirely properly seated. Is there any reason why a gasket sealant shouldn't provide a permanent fix? There is sufficient gap to force some in all around the pipe joint.

I have to get a LSGC and this was a failure.

roromac

Back to top Go down

Sealing a flue water leak Empty Re: Sealing a flue water leak

Post  mike Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:02 pm

I would recommend that you get the problem sorted out professionally.
Mike
MGC/H2O
Norfolk

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  roromac Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Gasket sealant is designed to work at higher than this exhaust temperature and to be gas tight, the drip was very slight. The fitting looks perfect apart from that. The work involved in removing the pipe to inspect the joint, lubricate the O ring and refit is disproportional. But as I'm not Gas Safe registered I was hoping Mike would give his opinion.
My attempt to get a "professional" repair was met by the familiar "it's obselete and I can't get the parts, replace the boiler". The boiler works fine so that does seem particularly wasteful.

roromac

Back to top Go down

Post  Midland Boilercare Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:09 am

Hi

If you have water leaking from the flue, then you have products of combustion (fumes) leaking from the flue.
This MUST be rectified and retested by a Gas Safe Registered engineer as it is a serious problem.
Midland Boilercare
Midland Boilercare

http://www.midlandboilercare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  roromac Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:38 am

I accept that the leak should be sealed and tested but given the availability of tapes and sealants for this purpose, why on earth would it be necessary to replace the lot? Clearly it isn't so I wondered what a Gas Safe fitter would do.

roromac

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:01 pm

I am afraid that there is not a lot you can do.
Have you tried locating any flue / parts?
But if you have trouble with one part of your flue, there could be other problems lurking / unseen.
Talk to Gledhill and see what they say.
Their tech line is 60p per minute but may be worth the call.
But what ever the out come it is really important that the flue is sorted out professionally.
Although a modification may look and appear to be ok. It MAY not.
At the end of the day it could be your life or your family's life. Or someone else's if you moved or rented etc.
What price then!
Mike

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Midland Boilercare Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:25 am

Hi Your comments regarding sealants suggest that you do not have a clear understanding of the potential danger that the leak is related to.

roromac wrote:I accept that the leak should be sealed and tested but given the availability of tapes and sealants for this purpose, why on earth would it be necessary to replace the lot? Clearly it isn't so I wondered what a Gas Safe fitter would do.

The Gas Safety Regulations do not allow for a flue to be modified. The only solution to this problem is to dismatle the flue, inspect the seals and replace the seal or defective section of flue pipe as necessary, using only the original manufacturers recommended materials.

This is such a serious matter that the Health and Safety Executive have issued guidance to Gas Safe registered engineers relating to flues in voids (in ceilings, ducts etc.) where leaking identical to yours has taken place.

I cannot stress how important it is to have this leak rectified correctly and safely.
Midland Boilercare
Midland Boilercare

http://www.midlandboilercare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  jennychristina Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:35 am

I think the leak might be from the plume kit band. If it is leaking water then it can also leak flue products. It might need to be properly sealed with a sealant. If you upload some pics then the problem can be easily identifiable. Use silicon grease on the o ring as it can also works for a while. Call a plumber if you are not able to solve the problem.

jennychristina

http://www.allkaregroup.co.uk/leaking-pipes-repair.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down