Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burning smell from thermal storage Unit

2 posters

Go down

Burning smell from thermal storage Unit Empty Burning smell from thermal storage Unit

Post  bobnitro Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi there,

2 days ago my Boilermate A class thermal storage Unit developed a really strong smell of burning. like a hot plastic smell. I switched it off immediately.

I have since then been switching it on for a little while to see if I can identify where the smell is coming from. Up close it is like a really strong TCP smell, and seems strongest at the top of the PCB.

The Unit still works normally, but I cannot see anything that looks out of place at all. No loose connections, no melted or scorched wires or parts. No bubbled areas on PCB... no signs of anything overheating.

Whenever I have the Unit on to fault search I open all the windows and the smell still really catches my throat.

This is driving me nuts!

Guess I will have to get an engineer to look at it, but worry that they will not know what's wrong, and a long expensive path will be endured to try and stumble upon the problem.

Anyone got any good advice?

Thanks in advance

Bob

bobnitro

Back to top Go down

Burning smell from thermal storage Unit Empty Re: Burning smell from thermal storage Unit

Post  mike Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:49 pm

Check the realays and the bases
Mike
MGC/H2O
Norfolk

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Burning smell from thermal storage Unit Empty I know what it is!

Post  bobnitro Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:43 am

Hi again,

Firstly, Mike thanks for the advice.

I have however managed to get to the bottom of this............

To cut a long story short, the F&E tank was totally bone dry. Previous house owner had changed a pump, and had never opened the supply valve to the F&E tank again.

So I am guessing that the smell has been the coil in the thermal storage tank being exposed??

Wonder if there will be any damage done??

Anyway, going to run it and see what happens now.

Bob

bobnitro

Back to top Go down

Burning smell from thermal storage Unit Empty Re: Burning smell from thermal storage Unit

Post  mike Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:03 am

Whoops.
Should always be the 1st thing to check.
And really need to check once a month.
If you have to add water on a regular basis then there cold be a leak somewhere.
Mike
MGC/H2O
Norfolk

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down