Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Post and Replacing a Boilermate II

2 posters

Go down

First Post and Replacing a Boilermate II Empty First Post and Replacing a Boilermate II

Post  kevlong Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:43 am

Hi,
We had a Boilermate II fitted to a new house build about 14 years ago now. It has performed reasonably reliably, but seems to be nearing it's end of life now, (next door also had a Boilermate II replaced a few weeks ago).

My question is, Would a A Class Boilermate OVR be the right replacement, (yes that is what next door had fitted)?

Thanks,

Kevlong

kevlong

Back to top Go down

First Post and Replacing a Boilermate II Empty Re: First Post and Replacing a Boilermate II

Post  Mike the Boilerman Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:32 pm

I'd keep it if I were you. Best version they ever made!

Cheers, Mike

Mike the Boilerman
Admin

https://gledhill-repairs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

First Post and Replacing a Boilermate II Empty Re: First Post and Replacing a Boilermate II

Post  kevlong Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:55 pm

Really?
After so many years without a rust inhibitor, can it be resurrected? Won't it just be too rotten inside, or will one of the descaling machines do the job?

Thanks for responding,

Kevlong

kevlong

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike the Boilerman Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:21 am

Corrosion deposits due to lack of corrosion inhibitor rarely have much impact on a Boilermate II. Their weakness is their susceptibility to water scale in the heat exchanger, and a tendancy for the heat exchanger to spring a leak.

Scale can very successfully be removed with chemical descaling which returns performance to 'as new'. If/when the heat exchanger begins to leak (shows up as water flowing from the overflow), the unit has to be replaced. There is no access to the heat exchanger to repair it.

Unless yours has water dribbling (or flowing) from the overflow, I'd be inclined to keep it (and descale it if hot water performance is poor).

Cheers, Mike

Last edited by Mike the Boilerman on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike the Boilerman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlong Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:02 am

Where would the overflow feed into, Mike? Does it go back into the header tank, which in my case is sitting directly on top of the boilermate, or does it emerge from elsewhere?

Thanks again for the advice, other than a small leak from the joint to one of the pumps, I don't think that there are any other leaks, so perhaps the descaling route would be the best, (and probably most economical)?

Kevlong

kevlong

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike the Boilerman Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:53 am

The overflow doesn't 'feed into' anything! It is a pipe from the side of the header tank to outside. The outside end is just open to discharge on the ground. It is there to prevent a flood inside the house if the water level in the header tank rises too high for any reason. Wtaer flows through the overflow to outside instead of over the rim of the tank and into the house.

Descaling is only necessary if the water temp is low and/or the flow rate is poor. If you have neither then the unit is working correctly. If you are in a hard water area fitting a water softener will prevent any future scale problems.

Cheers, Mike

Mike the Boilerman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down