Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No economy 7?

2 posters

Go down

No economy 7? Empty No economy 7?

Post  olbell Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:38 pm

Hello,

I have just moved into a rented flat which was built around 2005. It has a Pulsacoil 2000. I have had problems getting to grips with it (namely which switch was which!) and thought I had it running on the off peak setting but I was having problems as it would randomly stop providing hot water. A guy came round to have a look and found out that the thermostat rod was faulty and has replaced it. But......although not an expert in it, he also said that there was no timer etc set up to allow the boiler to use the off peak electricity. So I was advised I would just have to use the switches manually when hot water was required!

I really have limited knowledge about this and would welcome any advice. It seems rather pointless to install the boiler without also installing the correct meter stuff to allow it to use the off peak supply?! If it is the case that I can’t utilise the off peak electricity how would you recommend I use the boiler?

Thanks

Ollie

olbell

Back to top Go down

No economy 7? Empty Re: No economy 7?

Post  Mike the Boilerman Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:42 am

Hi Ollie,

I agree it's pointless fitting an off peak boiler then running it on day-rate power, but I encounter it from time to time! Even so, it's rare. Most installations have an off peak electricity meter that does the switching automatically. The bloke who visited should have spotted this if he knew what he was doing, but we don't know how good he was so no further forward really.

Firstly, are there neon lights on the wall switches? If there are, then one should have power available 24/7 and one should only illuminate between midnight and 7am, if you have the automatically switching meter. If both have power available 24/7 then he's right and you'll need a timer to be fitted next to the Pulsacoil in the off peak power lead.

If no neon lights on the switches the only easy way to tell which are live 24/7 and which are switched (if any) is to look at the blinking light on the meter. It changes blink speed when drawing power. This was you can figure out which switches are delivering heating energy, at what times of the day. You can only test this when the applaince is cool and you KNOW it needs heat!

Hope that helps,

Cheers, Mike

Mike the Boilerman
Admin

https://gledhill-repairs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  olbell Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:45 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick response.

I have uploaded two photographs which hopefully clear up what the situation is. We do have the neon lights on the switches and both seem to light up whenever they are switched on. The meter is a 'multi-rate meter series s' but the guy who came round said that as there was no cable coming out where it would be number 5 (see the photo) so therefore the off peak wouldn't work.

If it is the case that we need to run the boiler manually what would you recommend the best way is? If left on the 'off peak' switch will it only heat if water is required or just use electricity all the time? What i am trying to get at is would we have a massive bill if that switch was left on?

https://i.servimg.com/u/f34/15/44/71/87/rimg0012.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f34/15/44/71/87/rimg0011.jpg

Many Thanks

Ollie

olbell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down