Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burn on PCB

2 posters

Go down

Burn on PCB Empty Burn on PCB

Post  yoss Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:55 am

Hi, I have a Boilermate II which just had a new pump fitted as it was blowing fuses.
While he had the front off of it the repair guy noted that the pump drive PCB had a burn mark on the middle of the bottom edge - the nearest components being a couple of small red things I think are resistors (see image for a better description of the location).

Whatever had happened here was also enough to leave a grey mark on the inside of the front panel.

The system is running okay on its new pump (though there's a constant bubbling sound from the tank). Rads are on and it's providing hot water again. The burned pump drive PCB is still in there though.
I was wondering what might have caused the burn and if it's something I should worry about any time soon? The repairman reckoned we'd be ok to leave it til after winter then maybe replace the PCB. Second opinions?Burn on PCB Pumpdrivepcb

yoss

Back to top Go down

Burn on PCB Empty Re: Burn on PCB

Post  mike Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:20 am

Well if there is a burn mark, then it will not get any better.
I change lots of these PCB's.
Your unit is how old?
My advice would be to fit 2 new PCB's as they are both the same age. And in a very hot place.
Order new plastic fixings as well.
The bubbling sound is an indication of low on water.
If you read my post in the BM II section that has been covered many times.
Mike
MGC/H2O
Norfolk.

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  yoss Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:43 am

Thanks for the reply mike. The Boilermate was installed with the rest of the system in 2001 and the only previous work on it was a new pump a few years ago. Not sure if it was the pump that was replaced this time.

As for the bubbling - that has subsided now. As you say, it was just refilling. I hadn't given it enough time to refill properly after it was flushed for the pump installation. It is a pretty big tank.

From reading your site (good work by the way! very informative) I see that Boilermate II's are prone to the pumps getting gummed up with buildups of corroded metal fragments. May ask the repairman to 'powerflush' the system when he comes back in January. I'll ask him about getting hold of the PCBs too.

Alright, enough boilers for now. Have a good new year!

yoss

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:19 am

Happy New Year to you and yours.
DO NOT POWER FLUSH THE BM II.
OR ANY GLEDHILL UNIT.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
It is in the book too.
Mike
MGC/H2O
Norfolk