Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shreaking sound from Grundfos pump after refilling system!

2 posters

Go down

Shreaking sound from Grundfos pump after refilling system! Empty Shreaking sound from Grundfos pump after refilling system!

Post  GazYoung Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi,

Just removed a heated rail from the on-suite, both pipes isolated, fitting new rail later, and system refilled. Temperature got upto around 34 degrees and Grundfos pump started screaming. Extremely alarming so shut entire system off. The Grundfos pump is the one that says '"primary return to boiler!

Just tried venting at the "cold feed and expansion, I thought originally the system had refilled but after venting only for a few seconds the system started filling up with water again. System switched on again and now temperature is at 28 degrees. Is it safe to try again or should I switch off and call an engineer? Problem is I need to fit new heated towel rail in a few days and will have to drain the system again!

Can anyone please advise!

Many thanks

GazYoung

Back to top Go down

Shreaking sound from Grundfos pump after refilling system! Empty Re: Shreaking sound from Grundfos pump after refilling system!

Post  cactusbob Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:15 am

Your system has not refilled. I made this mistake a number of years ago and ended up burning out the boiler pump. I solved it by removing the screw in the bleed valve in the feed line and cleaning the crud out. The BM would then fill up much more quickly.

Basically just make sure you don't switch it on until the BM stops taking water from the header tank.

If you are fitting a towel rail that needs new valves, why not just plug the system, change one valve and then change the other?

cactusbob

Back to top Go down

Shreaking sound from Grundfos pump after refilling system! Empty Re: Shreaking sound from Grundfos pump after refilling system!

Post  GazYoung Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:14 pm

Hi and thank you very much for your reply and assistance, how do I plug the system as this has to better than emptying the entire system and all that water? I looked but couldn't find any isolation valves etc?

Many many thanks

GazYoung

Back to top Go down

Post  cactusbob Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:43 pm

Pop a bung in the Feed and Expansion pipes and drain a bit out. Should create a vacuum that stops it all coming out

cactusbob

Back to top Go down

Post  GazYoung Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:46 pm

Sounds a good idea and I'll give it a try, again many thanks.

GazYoung

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down