Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is my BoilerMate working correctly

2 posters

Go down

Is my BoilerMate working correctly Empty Is my BoilerMate working correctly

Post  tomg Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:27 am

Hi,

I'm new to the BoilerMate type systems.  

It would appear to me that the BoilerMate A-Class requires that the Hot water is on if the Heating is On.  Is that the correct way of it to work?

Of course it will work fine if you have Hot Water and Heating both on set to Timed or if you have Hot Water Constant and Heating Timed.  
Heating on Constant and Hot Water Timed doesn't seem to work.

How does this affect the Frost Protection?   If I where to leave the house for an extended period say for a three week vacation in the Winter I'd like to turn off both Heating an Hot Water.  Will Frost Protection turn on Hot Water too?

I'll explain why I'd like the Setting Constant Heating and Timed Hot Water.

I have changed the regular Room Thermostat for a more sophisticated one that permits me to set different temperatures through out the day and control the heat via the web while I'm away from the house .  So I can have a program such as:-

Weekdays.

00:00 Heating on to 15 degrees.
  06:00 Heating on to 20 degrees.
  08:30 Heating on to 15 degrees.
  17:00 Heating on to 20 degrees.
  22:30 Heating on to 15 degrees.

Weekends.

00:00 Heating on to 15 degrees.
  07:30 Heating on to 20 degrees.
  09:30 Heating on to 18 degrees.
  17:00 Heating on to 20 degrees.
  22:30 Heating on to 15 degrees.

I really only need hot water for a Shower in the morning and may be in the evening if I'm going out.  So ideally I would like the Hot Water Timed to come on at say 06:00 and off at 08:30 then on at 18:00 and off at 19:30.

I've found the house doesn't really loose heat that fast. So with the current weather the heating has only been on for may be an hour at a time two or three times a day.

I know the label suggests that you have Hot Water on Constant and Heating timed.   I also know that there are those that say it's more efficient to keep the Thermal store hot.  But, if I don't need Hot water and the house is not cold enough to require heating I would prefer to have the whole thing off and not burning Gas.

Regards,
Tom.

Last edited by tomg on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

tomg

Back to top Go down

Is my BoilerMate working correctly Empty Re: Is my BoilerMate working correctly

Post  mike Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:17 pm

You have a thermal store.
It has to be hot.
For Hot water
Or heating.
Your boiler heats the Boilermate up.
So to protect your house.
You will need;
The boiler on.
The Boilermate on.
If you do not use the hot water then the Boilermate will stay hot.
Heating uses the heat from the store.
The store is like a battery, it stores heat.
Mike

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  tomg Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:19 am

Thank you for your reply Mike.

I need to more observations.  (Then I'm sure I'lll have more Questions.)

Yes of course one needs to have the boiler on 24/7. If the BoilerMate is not calling for heat then it won't actually come on.  
Yes I would keep the BoilerMate on 24/7.  That is the Green "Control Circuit Power Supply" switch.

From what I've seen if you have the three position "Hot Water" switch in the "Off" position or if it is in the "Timed" position and the timer is "Off" then the heating doesn't work once it has drained all off the heat from the Heat Store.  

I imagined that the "Hot Water" switch would control wether or not the Heat Exchanger Pump will run if flow is detected in the hot water pipe.
Similarly I would have thought the "Heating" switch would control wether the Heating pump runs if if room stat is calling for heat.

Obviously if both the Heating and Hot Water are off then the thermal store could be allowed to lose heat.

Looking at the status display (The two 7 Segment displays) right now it is showing H1.1, H1.2, V1.1 and flashing "Controler Working OK"
To my mind that is not a logical display since we have HW Programmer calling for heat, Middle store sensor calling for heat and Lower store sensor calling for heat. I would have thought that the V2.1 would be lit (Boiler On).

Surely,  if the thermal store is not fully up to temperature (i.e. Battery not fully charged) then the boiler should be running to heat up the thermal store?

Cheers,
Tom.

Last edited by tomg on Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

tomg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down