Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slow Hot Water

2 posters

Go down

Slow Hot Water Empty Slow Hot Water

Post  Blacksmith Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:30 am

I think this must be the heat exchanger. Do you think descaling will be sucessful? THe system is about 2 yrs old and located in Salisbury. How much does a new heat exchanger cost?

First message to this forum!!!!

I think it will be well used. Is there any truth in the rumour that Gledhill have gone bust?

Lennox

Blacksmith

Back to top Go down

Slow Hot Water Empty Re: Slow Hot Water

Post  Mike the Boilerman Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:47 am

Hi Lennox,

Yes thanks for the first post!

Yes it's a racing certainty that it's the plate heat exchanger contaminated with water scale. A new HE is around £100 and reasonaby easy to fit if you are handy with spanners.

The situation as I understand it is that Gledhill Water Storage Ltd made the thermal stores and are in administration. Gledhill Building Products make ordinary copper cylinders etc and are still trading. A third company called Gledhill Spares (or something similar) supply parts for all the thermal stores and are trading profitably so spare parts for all the Boilermates etc are still freely available.

Cheers, Mike (the Boilerman)

Blacksmith wrote:I think this must be the heat exchanger. Do you think descaling will be sucessful? THe system is about 2 yrs old and located in Salisbury. How much does a new heat exchanger cost?

First message to this forum!!!!

I think it will be well used. Is there any truth in the rumour that Gledhill have gone bust?

Lennox

Mike the Boilerman
Admin

https://gledhill-repairs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Blacksmith Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:57 am

THanks for the reply. I'm going to try descaling it first. It must be fairly robust. Fingers crossed.

"Yes it's a racing certainty that it's the plate heat exchanger contaminated with water scale. A new HE is around £100 and reasonaby easy to fit if you are handy with spanners."

Blacksmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike the Boilerman Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:07 am

Hi Blacksmith,

Forget it unless you have a descaling or powerflushing pump. If you have one it will work fine. But if you are thinking of taking the HE off and filling it up with descaler for an hour of two, this will have no effect whatever. You are trying to disolve away about 200g of calcium and you can't do that with just half a litre of descaler!

Cheers, Mike

Blacksmith wrote:THanks for the reply. I'm going to try descaling it first. It must be fairly robust. Fingers crossed.

Mike the Boilerman
Admin

https://gledhill-repairs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down