Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pumps,codes and filling issues.

Go down

Pumps,codes and filling issues.  Empty Pumps,codes and filling issues.

Post  Stephen Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:32 am

Thought I would put a couple of things here and thank Mike for answering me this week, I had figured out the system for PCB Codes eventually and set the correct code for the new PCB.
Of course it turned out not to be the pcb but apparently the boiler pump (at least thats where we are at the moment).

Having decided to drain the cylinder to fit the new pump, as valves were leaking a bit, re-filling it became the challenge of the century, cut a long story short cold feed clogged up with crud and dropped round file in it trying to clear at the 15mm Tee to cylinder and expansion! Having read that this feed has a U return at the bottom I opted to cut my losses.

Mike suggested elsewhere blocking of that feed and bypassing it altogether so I went down that route.

Took off the copper feed and open vent, expansion from the header tank and cleaned them all, even the open Vent was solid with crap, so no wonder it was taking for ever to fill the cylinder. Cut the feed and expansion and ran a new plastic feed off it with a return Tee back to the now clear expansion and open vent pipe. Ran the feed down the outside of cylinder and returned across the bottom where I teed into the drain outlet just above the drain valve. When I turned the water on the header tank filled to about two thirds it's normal level and then the head overcame the air and woosh, rushing water filling the cylinder beautifully, it was filling at the same rate as the header tank was being supplied rather than having to watch it fill up then slowly trickle down through the cruddy old inlet.

It took around an hour to fill the cylinder rather than the days I've seen mentioned on here. It now remains to be seen if the boiler pump was my original issue, perhaps Mike would be able to advise if my Ideal Classic boiler should fire nonstop until the entire cylinder is hot, or will it run for a while then stop for a while, then run for a while and so on? I'll try and attache a couple of pics for anyone wanting to try it as a last resort (although to be honest folk should consider it as a first resort if system been unmaintained for a number of years)

Cheers
Stephen

Stephen

Back to top Go down

Pumps,codes and filling issues.  Empty Re: Pumps,codes and filling issues.

Post  Stephen Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:36 am

Appears the pics haven't posted I don't think, any one them I'll email them.

Stephen

Back to top Go down