Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New mixer needed?

3 posters

Go down

New mixer needed? Empty New mixer needed?

Post  Bec Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:30 am

Hi,

Firstly can I say thank you to Mike for a really informative and helpful website.

I have been having problems with the hot water from my pulsacoil (not sure which model, but it is about 15 years old) over the last few days the water has only been getting mildly warm, never hot. I am not experiencing any loss of pressure. Had an engineer around today who told me that the mixer was full of limescale and it would be £590 + VAT to replace. Obviously this is a large amount of money and after finding Mike's website I'm a little unsure about his diagnosis. Looking at the common faults of the pulsacoil this doesn't seem to be one of them and he didn't take the mixer off or look inside it but diagnosed it by twisting the mixer cap. He said the immersions were both fine but didn't use a multimeter on them.

I know my question is a bit vague, but if anyone has any advice that they can give then I would be really grateful.

Thanks in advance
Bec

Bec

Back to top Go down

New mixer needed? Empty Re: New mixer needed?

Post  MK Group Ltd Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi Bec,

I would advise you to call a different engineer, try looking at the engineers page on here for someone local.

Im not sure which Pulsacoil you have but if it is a Brawa mixer valve required they cost little over £100.00 and to fit it would be about £60.00 - £100.00 .

Without carrying out tests though don't go buying a valve which might not be needed!

Hope this helps

Gary
MK Group Ltd
MK Group Ltd

http://www.mkgroupltd.co.uk

Back to top Go down

New mixer needed? Empty Same thing

Post  johnhalsey Sun May 15, 2011 10:54 am

Hello,

I am having a little trouble with my hot water, and have seen that it seems you've had exactly the same problem as me.

I have a Pulsa Coil (again not sure which one), the label on it, just says Pulsa Coil, so I guess it’s just a standard one. Anyway, I'm getting very little hot water from the taps, but I'm quite sure that the water in the tank is plenty hot enough, because when I leave it for a while, and touch the "hot water to taps" pipe that come out of the tank, its blisteringly hot. I've had the mixer changed a couple of times before, I think it worked on some occasions and not on others.

I was interested to find out if your problem was resolved or not, and if so how? Did you need to get a new mixer and if so where from? I don't wanna get fleeced with another expensive plumber bill.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards
John

johnhalsey

Back to top Go down

Post  MK Group Ltd Sun May 15, 2011 11:03 am

Hi John,

Dependent on which Pulsacoil you have, It could be either the brawa mixing valve or dhw /phe return sensor that has failed.

If you are ok at DIY they are both a simple fix.

Kind regards

Gary

MK Group Limited

MK Group Ltd
MK Group Ltd

Back to top Go down

Post  johnhalsey Sun May 15, 2011 11:26 am

Hi Gary,

Thanks for that. How do I know which Pulsacoil I have. The lable doesn't seem to indicate?

I'm OK at DIY and can use a spanner so am quite confident to do it myself.

I've managed to get a picture on the mixer if that helps? [img]New mixer needed? Img_0512[/img]

The cap says oventron on it.

Thanks
again
John

johnhalsey

Back to top Go down

Post  MK Group Ltd Sun May 15, 2011 11:54 am

That is a standard mixing valve, sometimes called blending valve. Simply to change and readily available.

Part No is XC007.

Should cost no more than £100.00 and take little over 25mins to fit.
MK Group Ltd
MK Group Ltd

Back to top Go down

Post  johnhalsey Tue May 17, 2011 1:47 pm

Hi again,

I purchased that part, it arrived today and I've fitted it simply enough. I have hot water back but now the pressure on the hot water is reduced. I think there may be an air bubble in the system, could that effect it? How do I get it out?

Again, any help is appreciated.

Thanks John

johnhalsey

Back to top Go down

Post  MK Group Ltd Wed May 18, 2011 12:17 am

Hi John,

Sounds like you have a blocked cold feed. Try draining some water off of the tank and see if the water drains from the F & E tank, let me know your findings.

Kind regards

Gary
MK Group Ltd
MK Group Ltd

Back to top Go down

Post  johnhalsey Wed May 18, 2011 12:56 am

Hello.

At the risk of sounding thick, what's the F & E tank? Also I have a tap at the bottom of my water tank do you want me to drain it from their?

That doesn't make a lot sense because the water in the tank never gets used it only heats the pipe inside. There is (I think) a smaller tank directly on top (within the same tank), is this the F & E tank? How do I drain that?

Changing the mixer was easy enough, but that's where my plumbing expertise end I'm afraid.

Can you offer any more help?

Thanks
John

johnhalsey

Back to top Go down

Post  MK Group Ltd Wed May 18, 2011 3:19 am

The F & E tank is the small tank on top, drain the larger tank at the bottom and see if the water drains from the smaller tank above.

Kind regards

Gary

MK Group Limited
MK Group Ltd
MK Group Ltd

Back to top Go down

Post  johnhalsey Wed May 18, 2011 12:37 pm

Hello

Ok I drained some water from th bottom tap. As it started to drain, the water in the top tank started to fill itself up again. The pressure isn't any better. but the water is nice and hot, but just at a slowish trickle.

Any other thoughts?

Again, thank you so much for all your help.

John

johnhalsey

Back to top Go down

Post  MK Group Ltd Wed May 18, 2011 1:51 pm

When you isolated the water supply for the replacement of the mixer valve where did you isolate it from? was it the mains?

Also have you installed the mixing valve the right way around?
MK Group Ltd
MK Group Ltd

Back to top Go down

Post  johnhalsey Wed May 18, 2011 2:15 pm

Yes it was at the mains. A tap under the kitchen sink which cuts if all water to the flat.

And yes, it's definitely on the right way round, I'm not as dim as I sound

johnhalsey

Back to top Go down

Post  MK Group Ltd Wed May 18, 2011 3:25 pm

I would suggest that you drain and remove the F & E tank, and with the drain pipe connected to the tank, connect a cold main pressure feed to the inlet and let the cylinder flush through, It sounds like you have a blocked cold feed.

Kind regards

Gary

MK Group limited
MK Group Ltd
MK Group Ltd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down