Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pump runs when heating up (no hot water being drawn)

Go down

Pump runs when heating up (no hot water being drawn) Empty Pump runs when heating up (no hot water being drawn)

Post  Ralphy Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:06 am

My father's retirement apartment is fitted with a Pulsacoil A class. It's been fine for ages.

Two weeks ago he was kept awake by the pump running at night and turned off the power. The noise level is similar to that of the bathroom fan.

An independent Gledhill trained engineer checked over the unit and found no fault other than a small leak from the top immersion (no urgency to fix). Both immersions fine. Turned it on and it was OK for three days.

Last night the pump started up again.

Today the unit was on for the afternoon three hours of economy 10. Pump ran for the time E10 was on. At the end of the three hours, a small amount of luke warm water came out of the hot tap before going cold again.

Switching on the boost, the pump runs with no hot water being drawn.

The engineer tells me that the pump runs to help the unit heat up to a given temperature more quickly.

My questions:
1. Any pointers as to what might be wrong / what to check?
2. Should the pump run at all when no hot water is being drawn? If so under what conditions and for how long?

Ralphy

Back to top Go down