Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tank thermal loss

Go down

Tank thermal loss Empty Tank thermal loss

Post  ABZ2021 Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:34 am

Now I’ve replaced my delay timer PCB and got the tank thermostat set just below the boiler output water temp (old oil boiler, max hot water temp was too close to the tank thermostat temp), the system is running more like it should be. Since doing this, with the heating turned off (e.g. overnight) I’ve observed that the boiler kicks in once an hour for 10 minutes each time, is this about right for typical thermal losses from the tank? If so, I’m probably going to install a timer on the boiler to shut it down overnight as 80 minutes of the boiler firing overnight doesn’t seem very efficient, pretty sure it would take much less firing each morning to get the tank up to temp. Thanks for any advice.

ABZ2021

Back to top Go down

Tank thermal loss Empty Re: Tank thermal loss

Post  ABZ2021 Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:11 am

First test, turned boiler off last night at 10pm, turned it back on at 8am, boiler fired for 54 mins to get the tank up to temp. Had the system stayed on overnight the boiler would have fired for around 100 minutes, looks like a decent saving to be had by installing a timer to shut it down overnight. I'll test this manually over another few nights to check these numbers are reliable.

ABZ2021

Back to top Go down

Post  ABZ2021 Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:00 am

Just to close the loop on this, I've done some more calcs and it looks like switching the boiler/tank off overnight will give me a saving of around 17 - 20% on my fuel usage. This is based on the boiler consuming around 3 litres an hour (Camray 3 manual). Appreciate the system is now almost 25 years old but the tank thermal losses seem to me to be quite substantial.

ABZ2021

mmartin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down