Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boilermate 2000 scalding water and pump on continuous

3 posters

Go down

Boilermate 2000 scalding water and pump on continuous Empty Boilermate 2000 scalding water and pump on continuous

Post  Le_Savage Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:38 am

Hello,
having recently moved into a house (8 yrs old) with a boilermate 2000 installed and having never come across one of these before I have the following 2 issues that according to all my research indicate a problem or problems with the unit.

Firstly I noticed that the hot water from the taps is extremely hot to the point of being untouchable, not an immedaite problem for me or the wife but the kids are now learning to wash own hands etc and I am a little worried about them scalding themselves. I note that the temp is set to 59 degrees on the board but I am pretty sure that the water is much much hotter than this.

Secondly, I have been concious that the BM is always making a noise, just this morning after receiving a larger than expected first electric bill I went to investigate and upon removing the cover I relaised that the DHW pump has been running at full speed (setting 3) 24/7 for no apparent reason. Is this normal?
Upon further investigation and referring to the wiring diagram I realised that someone had hard wired the DHW pump into the primary live coming into the board, does anyone have any idea why this 'fix' might have been implemented?

Could the two be related?

I have read on another website that some incorrect installations have seen the hot water being drawn from the 'thermal store' side of the unit rather than the 'heat exchanger' side, is this an accepted reason for super heated water and if so how might this be verified?

Many thanks in advance,
Justin

Le_Savage

Back to top Go down

Boilermate 2000 scalding water and pump on continuous Empty Re: Boilermate 2000 scalding water and pump on continuous

Post  scorp Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:54 am

Hi Justin,

Hope here you can find answers on your questions:
https://gledhill-repairs.forumotion.net/boilermate-2000-f8/boilermate-2000-hot-water-operation-t573.htm
I had absolutelly the same ones. As for pump running constantly, HW is connected in your case permanently to keep water in the tank hot 24/7 but pump normally starts when you open HW tap and continue to run for a while after you close the tap, and full speed (setting 3) is normal. Anyway, if you disconnect old timer and connect new 2-channel one like I did you will sove your problem. I have now HW on for 4 hours and very rearly run out of HW(only when all my girls rush into bathroom). Don't forget to set thermostat on boiler to max!

Alex

scorp

Back to top Go down

Boilermate 2000 scalding water and pump on continuous Empty Re: Boilermate 2000 scalding water and pump on continuous

Post  Midland Boilercare Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi Justin

The hot water pump should not be wired directly from the mains live section, but from the terminals on the control board.
The hot water pump should only run until the hot water heat exchanger reaches the correct temperature (approx 52deg) When hot water is being run, the control board alters the voltage to the hot water pump to adjust its speed and keep the hot water temperature constant and it is important that thgis pump stays set at number 3 (it's usually within 1-2 degrees of its target temp after 20seconds). If the pump is running constantly then there is no way that the control board can regulate the temperature of the hot water.

The most probable reason for this "bodge" is that there is a problem with the thyristor control on the ACB (control board) that controls the hot water pump. If this is the case then a new control board will be required to rectify the problem.

We are based in Leicester and cover the East / West Midlands if you need us to help.
Midland Boilercare
Midland Boilercare

http://www.midlandboilercare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down