Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PulsaCoil 2000 - No Economy 7 but do have a timer

2 posters

Go down

PulsaCoil 2000 - No Economy 7 but do have a timer Empty PulsaCoil 2000 - No Economy 7 but do have a timer

Post  peakyblinder Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi Mike (or anyone else than answer),

I have just moved into an apartment that has a PulsaCoil 2000.  Never seen one of these before!

Anyway, There is no Economy 7 meter for this apartment or any other from what I can see.  So I have no idea why the landlord chose this water heater when its for use with E7.  Couple of questions...

1. How long does it need to heat water for a shower?

2. Should it sound like its heating water all the time?  I mean, it seems to heat water for a bit then stop, then start again like a thermostat is controlling it.  I only need hot water in the morning and some in the evening for washing up.  

3. There are three switches with lights in the cupboard.  All are turned on. I understand one of these is for the on-peak supply which should be turned off until required.  Does this make any difference seeing as I have no E7 supply or is this costing me more money?

4. The timer is a Horstmann Electronic 7 (presumably for E7).  This is apparently set to come on at 2:15am till 7:15am.  Is this the time required to heat the water for the day?  If its set to this, why does it sound like its heating water all the time?

5. Does the washing machine use hot water from this or heats the water itself (never thought of this until now)

Apologies for all the questions?

Much Appreciated,

peakyblinder

Back to top Go down

PulsaCoil 2000 - No Economy 7 but do have a timer Empty Re: PulsaCoil 2000 - No Economy 7 but do have a timer

Post  mike Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:12 pm

Sounds like you have E7
It is a thermal store.
Just like a battery. But stores heat.
That heat is used to heat cold water entering the plate heat exchanger, which the sensors then tell the pump to run.
The pump runs the thermal heated water through one half of the PHE. Cold goes in, get heated then to the hot tap.
Look up the instructions for your timer (Google)
Washing machine, is it hot & cold fill?
Most are cold fill only these days. Why? Well most washing is done at 40c or less.
So most hot water sources would be too hot.
Ask your neighbours how they use their units.
Also study the books etc for your unit.
Lots on here posted ref your unit.
Check with your electricity supplier or look at your bill.
You may find the whole dwelling goes on off peak at a certain time.
You will need to have it on those 5 hours.
Once heated up, may be 3, 4, or 2.5 it will stop.
Once you get the unit hot it will hold its heat. But if you use it then say no more.
Mike

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

PulsaCoil 2000 - No Economy 7 but do have a timer Empty Re: PulsaCoil 2000 - No Economy 7 but do have a timer

Post  peakyblinder Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:16 pm

Hi,

Definitely not E7, my supplier Eon says so. Also, the meter only has one dial, not two.

In regards to the 3 switches, one of them should be of, the on peak one. As they're not labelled up, how do i know which one to tun off?

Thanks,

peakyblinder

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Well one will be the unit supply.
On all the time/
Then you will have a OFF peak switch (bottom heater)
And a ON peak switch ( top heater)
Does seem like it has been wired for OFF peak.
And you have an E7 timer too.
Perhaps your land lord can / should provide instructions.
And also label those switches up too.
Have you enquired ref E7 as to having it?
Mike

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down