Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I do not have an off-peak electricity meter - can I set my PulsaCoil III to be on all the time?

2 posters

Go down

I do not have an off-peak electricity meter - can I set my PulsaCoil III to be on all the time? Empty I do not have an off-peak electricity meter - can I set my PulsaCoil III to be on all the time?

Post  Ian B Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:27 pm

Our Pulsacoil III is working correctly, but we are heavy users of hot water and we quite often run out. I realise that the system is now 17 years old, but we rent our flat and I cannot justify asking the landlord to install a new system as this one is working correctly. We do not have an off-peak electricity meter and I would like to set the system to run all the time so that we do not run out of hot water. Our system is fitted with a Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz Maxistore timer. As we do not have an Economy 7 meter, I would like to bypass the timer so that the Pulsacoil can be on all the time. Is there any reason why we should not bypass the timer and run the system all the time?

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated!

Ian B

Back to top Go down

I do not have an off-peak electricity meter - can I set my PulsaCoil III to be on all the time? Empty Re: I do not have an off-peak electricity meter - can I set my PulsaCoil III to be on all the time?

Post  mike Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:41 am

You could run it all the time.
As once heated to the max temp. It will stop.
Why not use the E 7.
And boost it when you are there?
Mike

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

I do not have an off-peak electricity meter - can I set my PulsaCoil III to be on all the time? Empty Re: I do not have an off-peak electricity meter - can I set my PulsaCoil III to be on all the time?

Post  Ian B Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:02 am

mike wrote:You could run it all the time.
As once heated to the max temp. It will stop.
Why not use the E 7.
And boost it when you are there?
Mike
Thanks for your comments, Mike. I am comforted to have confirmation that the system will cope if it is on all the time. As I live in a rented flat that does not have an Economy 7 meter I do not benefit from only heating the tank overnight. For the past 4 years we have used the system in the manner you describe, but the overnight heat only provides us with enough hot water for 3 showers in the summer and about 2.5 showers in the winter. I find it really annoying having to plan any further hot water use 30 minutes in advance of it being required and I wanted to find a more acceptable solution.

Since my first post we have over-ridden the E 7 timer and the system has been on all the time for the last 3 days. It is a real treat having all the hot water we need when we need it without having to plan in advance. My understanding of the system is that having it on all the time is the most efficient way of using it - and it is certainly the most convenient. We have constant hot water whenever we need it and we can thoroughly enjoy our power showers now no matter what time of the day or night it is.

Our system is 17 years old and the overflow tank has already been replaced with a makeshift plastic tank. the elements and the thermostat were replaced 4 years ago, so it probably won't be too long before the whole thing will have to be retired (along with the heating system which is all electric with no night storage capability), so until replacement is necessary I think we have the best solution.

Ian B

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down