Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pulsacoil III - Using extraordinary amounts of electricity

3 posters

Go down

Pulsacoil III - Using extraordinary amounts of electricity Empty Pulsacoil III - Using extraordinary amounts of electricity

Post  brinks Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:31 pm

Hi,
This is my first post here so i'd just like to say hi and thanks in advance!

I'm currently renting a property which has a Pulsacoil III system fitted and have found it's munching its way through a large amount of electricity. It comes on for approx 7 hours a night and draws 3KWhrs so roughly 21KW overnight everynight!!
There's only me living here and I find I can just turn it off for 2 nights and have it heat every third and that tends to give me hot water at all times.
Anyway, is this sort of power consumption normal? It's supposed to be economy 7 but I only have a single meter - does this run at a different rate at night?
Secondly, does anyone have a rough idea how long the tank takes to heat. Do I need to run it overnight fully every 3 nights or would I just get away with turninig on the 1 hour boost once a day?
Lots of questions I know but as my electric bill has just doubled I'm trying to save every penny I can
Thanks again for any advice, Andy

brinks

Back to top Go down

Pulsacoil III - Using extraordinary amounts of electricity Empty Re: Pulsacoil III - Using extraordinary amounts of electricity

Post  brinks Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:42 pm

Ok, dumbo here! I've just had a look at the unit and the thermostats are rated at 3KW @ 240V so I guess that bit is correct.

Seems a lot of power to use though even on Eco7 to run for so long overnight. Any thoughts?

BTW , my timer is fixed and cannot be adjusted to a shorter period of running.

brinks

Back to top Go down

Pulsacoil III - Using extraordinary amounts of electricity Empty Re: Pulsacoil III - Using extraordinary amounts of electricity

Post  H20 Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:57 am

Andy, you should definitely not use the boost option. If your Pulsa Coil is wired correctly you should have an on-peak and an off-peak switch. A correctly wired Pulsa Coil will have its lower immersion rod wired to the off-peak meter and the upper one to the on-peak. Turn off the on-peak - you won't need it. It uses the expensive on-peak electricity.

I also have a single electricity meter but 2 separate switches for the boiler - the off peak only comes on at night. The tank is very well insulated normally and heats up fairly quickly. If I were you, I'd stick to the off-peak switch only.

The Pulsa Coil does have heat sensors which I presume turn off electricity to the heating rods when the water has reached a certain temperature thus not wasting electricity. Maybe Mike can confirm this.

This pdf guide may also give you more info - http://www.gledhill.net/pdfmanuals/Older%20Ranges/PulsaCoilIII.pdf

H20

Back to top Go down

Post  brinks Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:08 pm

Thanks for that i'll have a read of the pdf. I'd guessed too that it would heat until the water was hot and then cycle on/off to keep it hot whilst the timer was on.

However, I recoreded the electricity used over night and over 7 hours it used 21KW which would seem to suggest the heater just came on and stayed on! Maybe this is a fault and the reason i'm using so much electricity?

Even on ECO7 it's using 80p a night or almost £30 a month just heating my water!!

I'll check how its wired too and make sure the right heaters are wired to the right supplies as you mentioned.

Cheers, Andy

brinks

Back to top Go down

Pulsacoil III - Using extraordinary amounts of electricity Empty Just double check

Post  sunny.sahdev Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:01 am

Hi,

I would recommend you double check it has been wired up correctly and request a self check guide via this link -> Pulsacoil 3 Repair

sunny.sahdev

http://www.vedhas.co.uk/vedhas-what-we-do/pulsacoil-repair/#

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down