Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A broken immersion heater and a blocked header pipe

3 posters

Go down

A broken immersion heater and a blocked header pipe Empty A broken immersion heater and a blocked header pipe

Post  Chepstow-one Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:18 am

Having a nightmare Christmas. Central heating not working and I suspect a blocked header pipe on my BoilerMate II as the header tank remains filled when I drained the system this morning. In addition the immersion heater has broken. The immersion heater is the more immediate problem as we have no hot water. Can anyone tell me what type / size of immersion heater is fitted to the BoilerMate II? Can I get an equivilant from B&Q for example (being probably the only 'reasonable' store open over the Christmas break). Are there any issues in fitting a new one?

For my second problem of the blocked header pipe, as a quick fix could I install a simple drain cock into the bottom of the header tank, connect this drain cock to the main tank drain cock with a hose pipe and then open both taps to refill the system and main tank? I could then complete the job in slower time using the instructions elsewhere on this web-site.

Chepstow-one

Back to top Go down

A broken immersion heater and a blocked header pipe Empty Re: A broken immersion heater and a blocked header pipe

Post  THERMAL SOLUTIONS Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:10 am

hello, you may use a standard dumpy immersion heater from bnq as a short term fix, they usually on supply immersions for conventional hot water cylinders, but it will get you through xmas and the new year. boilermate 2 suffer badly with blocked cold feed / expansion pipe blockage, can be rectified in around an hour, rather than back filling the unit from the mains, this i dont advise.
hope this helps
mark
www.gledhill-repair.co.uk

THERMAL SOLUTIONS

http://www.gledhill-repair.co.uk

Back to top Go down

A broken immersion heater and a blocked header pipe Empty Re: A broken immersion heater and a blocked header pipe

Post  Chepstow-one Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:29 am

Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I spent Boxing Day morning in B&Q getting the bits. Fitted the short immersion heater and connected the header tank and main tank via a simple hose pipe in the afternoon. Gained loads of Brownie points by getting heat on that evening. Proved using the hosepipe that the internal header pipe was the cause of the blockage and will put a final fix in when the weather warms up.

Chepstow-one

Back to top Go down

Post  THERMAL SOLUTIONS Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:32 am

WELL DONE, I KNOW SEASONED HEATING ENGINNEERS WHO WOULD NOT ENTERTAIN THAT !!!!!
MARK.

THERMAL SOLUTIONS

Back to top Go down

A broken immersion heater and a blocked header pipe Empty blocked filler

Post  Paul Technician Southampt Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:01 pm

Did you syphon the water from the header tank down 2 the drain cock?
Paul Technician Southampt

Back to top Go down

Post  THERMAL SOLUTIONS Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:34 am

if the drain point on the boilermate is not seized, it should empty within a few minutes, if this is jammed use the old bucket and cup /sponge attack !!!!
hope this helps
mark.

THERMAL SOLUTIONS

Back to top Go down

A broken immersion heater and a blocked header pipe Empty Blocked filler

Post  Paul Technician Southampt Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:08 pm

I carry a "Charles" wet and dry hoover it works very well on this sort of thing. It removes pipe contents ready for soldering and spills like weeping drain hose connections that are too low for a tray. Or just to empty the tray or cistern. regards
Paul.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down