Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No instant only imersion?

4 posters

Go down

No instant only imersion? Empty No instant only imersion?

Post  nick_228 Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:14 am

Hi,

I have a Pulsa Coil 2000.

I have 3 switches for it:
1. Main switch
2. Peak time immersion
3. Off peak immersion.

I was under the impression that quote 'the hot water you use at the tap is not stored but is produced instantaneously' but when I turn on the main switch still I get no instant hot water for taps. Only when I turn the immersion heater on I get this and it would then last for about a day depending how much I use it.

Is there something wrong with the boiler? Please help!!!!

Thanks, Nick

nick_228

Back to top Go down

No instant only imersion? Empty Re: No instant only imersion?

Post  MK Group Ltd Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:21 am

Hi Nick,

All three switches should be on!

The PulsaCoil does not produced instantaneous hot water, it is a thermal store. The water which is heated internally is not the water you received at the taps. The water you receive at the taps is heated through a plate heat exchanger which heats the water passed through it via the water in the thermal store.

The water will take some time (about 1 hour) to heat as the store needs to heat via the off peak or on peak immersions.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Gary

MK Group
MK Group Ltd
MK Group Ltd

http://www.mkgroupltd.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  nick_228 Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:52 am

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the answer, this seems to be very expensive on electricity though? as i can hear the water constantly boiling all of the time, even when left on for hours. is this still right?

Thanks,

Nick

nick_228

Back to top Go down

Post  MK Group Ltd Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:54 am

Hi Nick,

How old is the property?
Do you have two fuse boards in the property?

Regards

Gary
MK Group Ltd
MK Group Ltd

Back to top Go down

Post  nick_228 Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:27 pm

The property and the boiler are both about 6 years old. Yes two fuse boards.

Thanks,

Nick

nick_228

Back to top Go down

Post  MK Group Ltd Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:44 pm

Hi Nick,

Two fuseboards indicate that you do have an off peak and an on peak fuseboard.

The bottom immersion will be run during the off peak service (economy 7 = cheap electric through the night). The top immersion will run during the day time and only heat the top third of the Gledhill.

I would suggest if you are getting high electric bills to check that you have a dual reading electric meter, as I have come across several properties like yours that are set for economy 7 yet only have a single rate meter.

You can also test the bottom immersion to see if it is constantly live, I would suggest that you carryout a voltage test across the immersion.

If you are not at the property all day, A time clock can be fitted to the system to enable the hot water to be regulated and obviously allow for cheaper electric.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Gary
M K Group
MK Group Ltd
MK Group Ltd

Back to top Go down

Post  nick_228 Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:53 pm

ok, i do have the 2 readings meter reader. so as long as all the switches should be on ill do this. definately an in-line timer is a good idea.

thanks so much for your time, i really appreciate it!

Regards,

Nick

nick_228

Back to top Go down

No instant only imersion? Empty Incorrect advice

Post  Midland Boilercare Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:29 am

Hi Nick

I've been working with Gledhill equiptment for many years, and still carry out work directly for Gledhill themselves. Sorry to contradict Garys advice, but if all three switches are left on contantly you will have excessive bills, and here's why.

The unit has two immersion elements, 1 connected to the overnight cheap rate electricity circuit, and 1 connected to the boost standard rate electricity circuit.

The Pulsacoil will have been sized to suite your apartment and will either be wired to an Economy 7 tarrif (7hours of cheap electricity overnight - the unit would only take a maximum of around 3.5hrs to heat from completely cold dependent on it's size) or an Economy 10 tarrif (sometimes called "Heatwise" - this gives you 3 seperate heating periods which are usually 5hrs overnight, 3hrs in the afternoon between 13.00 and 16.00, and 2hrs in the evning between 18.00 to 20,00 or between 19.00 and 21.00).

The boost element is generally only used to top up the unit if you run out of hot water due to a large usage of water, although very few of the customers that I visit ever have to use the boost,

If the boost is left turned on continually, it will continue to top up the unit all day long whenever hot water has been used, and although this means that you will never run out of hot water, it is unnecessary and costly as it uses peak rate (standard) electricity.

My advice is to turn off the boost switch and only use it if you need to. As for the other 2 switches (the control circuit and the overnight circuit), these should be left on all the time.
Midland Boilercare
Midland Boilercare

http://www.midlandboilercare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  MK Group Ltd Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:02 am

Hi Nick / David,

David I have worked on Gledhills for over 15 years and I to work for Gledhill themselves.

I agree with your response, however It is dependent on your meter installed and your hot water requirements.

If you have an economy seven tariff;

a, you require hot water for a shower or bath in the morning then as David suggests turn off the Peak switch, this will give you hot water in the mornings and you will need to use the boost button in the evenings for addition hot water requirement like washing up.

b, if you require hot water in the evening and to keep the cost of electricity down then as I mentioned before you can either install a time clock to the Peak supply or request a meter change to a Economy 10 tariff, however some electrical companies will charge a larger amount to install the meter than it cost to install a time clock.

If you have an Economy 10 tariff;

You will be able to turn off the peak switch and still have hot water during this period.

If you contact your electricity provider they will be able to tell you which tariff you are on and how much it will cost to change the meter (if required).

I hope this helps

Gary

M K Group Limited
MK Group Ltd
MK Group Ltd

Back to top Go down

Post  nick_228 Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:39 am

Hi all,

Thanks for you responses.

I have economy 7 at my property with two meter readings.

I now leave both the main switch and the off-peak switch perminately ON. From the manual i assume this alone should be hot for taps at around 55 degrees, however, this isn't the case. It leaves the pipe at the same temperature as the cold tap. Only when the boost immersion is switched on do i get hot water.

Any ideas?

Thanks Nick

nick_228

Back to top Go down

Post  MK Group Ltd Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:14 am

Hi Nick,

It sounds like your off peak immersion may be faulty as your boost button will turn on your peak immersion I would suggest that you check both the immersion and the stat on the off peak immersion.

Regards

Gary
MK Group Ltd
MK Group Ltd

Back to top Go down

No instant only imersion? Empty This guide will explain how to use your switches and not to leave them all on

Post  sunny.sahdev Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:33 am

Request the self check Pulsacoil guide which may help in your case:

Request the guide via this link: Pulsacoil 2000

sunny.sahdev

http://www.vedhas.co.uk/vedhas-what-we-do/pulsacoil-repair/#

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down