Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boliermate II - risk of leaking

2 posters

Go down

Boliermate II - risk of leaking  Empty Boliermate II - risk of leaking

Post  Jo, Essex Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:45 am

I have a Boliermate II which is about 15 years old.

It seems to work fine but there appears to have been some leakage from the top cylinder/ water storage tank. There is also some rust. I have central heating cover with a well known company and they are advising that the boilermate is at serious risk of leaking through the ceiling and causing major damage (they have added that this is a very common problem with Boilermate IIs). They are suggesting that we replace the whole unit at a cost of £2500 for a replacement central heating cylinder.

Is anyone able to advise as to whether there is a risk of such leakage/ damage occurring given that there has been some leakage from the top? I am not sure whether the said company are just trying to increase their sales.

Thank you.

Jo, Essex

Back to top Go down

Boliermate II - risk of leaking  Empty Re: Boliermate II - risk of leaking

Post  MK Group Ltd Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi Jo,

It is a common problem with the top tank, they are prone to leaking, but it can be easily replaced! If you don't catch them early they can rust the lid of the bottom tank and burst the tank which will be irreparable.

Bottom tank is not so common to leak on its own.

Kind regards

Gary
MK Group Limited
MK Group Ltd
MK Group Ltd

http://www.mkgroupltd.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo, Essex Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:24 am

Thank you Mike.

I think the leak happened a while ago as the top of the bottom tank (where the top tank sits) is rusty and white from limescale. The company that I have my central heating cover with have said that they can replace the top tank but that in doing so it may cause the bottom tank to leak and stop working. Sounds like their advice possibly matches yours.

Jo.

Jo, Essex

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down