Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hot Water Heat Exchanger Pump on Constantly! Please Help!

2 posters

Go down

Hot Water Heat Exchanger Pump on Constantly! Please Help! Empty Hot Water Heat Exchanger Pump on Constantly! Please Help!

Post  JB1986 Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi,

We've just moved into a new flat with an Electramate heating system (fun times :-)). It seems that the pump to feed the hot water heat exchanger is just on constantly. My lanlord sent round a chap who seemed to have no knowledge of these systems and dismissed this as a minor issue as the pump only draws a max of 90W and as the pump had a variable speed selector on it, he just turned this down instead.

However, having monitored my electricity usage of the past few days before work and after returning home the usage seems very high.

Given my understanding of these systems, if this pump in on constantly would this not also cause an increase in the rate of heat loss from the thermal store, in turn, causing an increased use of the immersion heaters causing a greater power consumption than the unit should use?

Any advice on weather this pump should be on all the time (from the limited info available on line it seems it should only stay on for a max of 3 minutes after use) and whether it being on would cause a larger power draw than just the pump itself? I'm trying to pull some stuff together to present to my landlord to hopefully get it fixed!

In addition, I've noted that the 4 LEDs at the bottom of the main PCB also do not seem to work at all (not sure if this is linked to the pump issue?), and on the LCD display the bottom "bar" doesn't light up when there is a hot water draw from the system.

On the plus side we do have hot water and functioning heating, hence why I am finding it hard to argue to get someone who knows their stuff round when their usual contractor has said there is no issue.

Any help from those out there with a little more experience would be great and sorry for the long post :-)

Thanks

Jack

JB1986

Back to top Go down

Hot Water Heat Exchanger Pump on Constantly! Please Help! Empty Re: Hot Water Heat Exchanger Pump on Constantly! Please Help!

Post  mike Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Have you the book on your unit.
If not download one from Gledhill FOC.
Mike
MGC/H2O
Norfolk

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Hot Water Heat Exchanger Pump on Constantly! Please Help! Empty Re: Hot Water Heat Exchanger Pump on Constantly! Please Help!

Post  JB1986 Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:27 am

Hi Mike

Yes I do have the manual... it was a little vague in parts but it did seem to infer that the pump feeding the hot water heat exchanger should only remain on for 3 minutes after the draw from the hot water tap. However, this pump seems to be active constantly hence my query on whether this is an issue?

Any further advice you can provide would be great!

many thanks

Jack

JB1986

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:33 am

Well Jack as you state you have a problem.
But it is your landlords problem.
He needs to get it sorted.
Mike

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down