Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaking immersion heaters

2 posters

Go down

Leaking immersion heaters Empty Leaking immersion heaters

Post  Bagpuss Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:07 am

I have a 9 or 10 year old Gledhill Torrent Thermal store model Td144.

It has never worked very well and I ve had lots of repairs and replacement immersion heaters and thermostats.

Recently the temperature and amount of hot water significantly reduced and the peak booster didnt work at all. Then the top immersion heater started leaking through and now the bottom one is doing the same !!

Is a replacement going to be necessary now ?

If so, what is the best replacement I can now get to avoid the plumbing complications of an unvented system ?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Baguss

Bagpuss

Back to top Go down

Leaking immersion heaters Empty Re: Leaking immersion heaters

Post  Mario.S Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:56 pm

The Torrent ( privies model of the Pulsacoil series) is actually a very simple unit with a big coil to exchange energy from the open vented cylinder to the main hot water outlet to your taps. In terms of replacing the unit with an unvented cylinder, if you live in a flat , you have to get permission for an unvented unit to get fitted.
The immersion is of course a time tasking job but not complicated. Bare in minder, to treat your system water after refilling with fernox inhibiter or adequate, to prevent corrosion, if not, you ending up with a short lifespan of your immersion/ corrosion of stat pockets ect.
I would, drain down the torrent, fit a new good quality Immersion heater with thermostat, refill and treat the system. On a DIY job, cost would be about £60 to £90 pounds for immersion and fernox ( if you have some usable tools, bock spanner ...). A new system would set you back ( regarding getting the permission to fit an unvented cylinder and overflow ect.) at least £2500 to £3000 !!!
hope this helps
regards Mario
at Mario's Boiler Service

Mario.S

http://www.marios-boiler-service.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Leaking immersion heaters Empty Immersion heaters

Post  Bagpuss Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi

Thanks very much for this.

I have had them replaced several times already and the system is 10 years old.

Is it worth spending more money on repairs that don't seem to last or actually even improve the hot water temperature or quantity. Have not been able to run a bath off it for a long time.

Was told as its 10 years old, it's probably at the end of its life anyway ? Is that true ?

I'm reluctant to spend more on it when it never seems to improve it much.

What would be best replacement if I went for another vented similar system ? The pulsacoil ?

Thanks for your help
Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario.S Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:26 pm

Firstly the TD144 ( means 144 litre capacity) was one of the smallest units produced at this time. This 144 litre unit was almost in adequate for anyone, from this Gledhill started the Pulsacoil smallest with 160 litre as smallest. ( Your Builder was probably on for a small budged). If you going for a new Boiler , I would recommend a Pulsacoil BP with at least 180 litre capacity, depending on your space available. All required pipes and electric should be there from your existing Torrent , so no big expense there, and not match extra pipe work. This also caps your cost to a minimum. Also you do not need a license for unvented boiler to install them. The Boiler would cost about ( do not count me on this of course this can wary) £1800 plus VAT for an 160 litre upwards to £2500 +VAT ( depending on the capacity , up to 225 litre)  Plus, of course about a day's labour. As long as your main cylinder is not leaking, i would repair and may also change the mixing valve on the coil als well, coure th unit is not al this old and the cost for a new unit would be 100 times more.
regards
Mario at Mario's Boiler Service

Mario.S

http://www.marios-boiler-service.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down