Gledhill Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inhibitor for Boilermate 2000

2 posters

Go down

Inhibitor for Boilermate 2000 Empty Inhibitor for Boilermate 2000

Post  J_T Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:31 am

Hi

I have a 10+ year old boilermate 2000. Have just changed to circuit board GT155 which has fixed an issue I had with no heating and hot water. I have been reading that it is best to use at inhibitor such as Fernox. Where should this be added? Is it as simple as through one radiator as it states on Fernox instructions, or is the process more complex with having a boilermate?

Thanks in advance

Julie

J_T

Back to top Go down

Inhibitor for Boilermate 2000 Empty Re: Inhibitor for Boilermate 2000

Post  mike Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:59 am

If you check out the posts on here.
You will find all the info on how to do it and the amount.
Mike

mike

http://www.mgch20.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Inhibitor for Boilermate 2000 Empty Corrosion - inhibitor help still needed

Post  J_T Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:30 am

Mike

I have already been through alot of the posts as I was without heating and hot water for 3 days and Gledhill could not come out for 10 days to repairs which with temperatures of -1 was a worry so I've had to use the internet and try and solve this problem myself. I'm not a plumber I have no previous knowledge of this kind of thing - I was just cold and desperate so have had to try and resolve this myself - so I need this in laymans terms. I have tried putting inhibitor in the keyword and also used the advanced search but no joy on finding the answer. Do you know if the answer is in the boilermate 2000 section? I have been through several of the pages already. Do you know the heading of the topic or post? I am really worried about the corrosion as the tap valve literrally snapped off causing sludgey brown water to escape through the airing cupboard where the tank is to my kitchen ceiling. I repalced the tap but I'm worried if the inhibitor isnt done correctly the whole thing is just going to corrode away. There is limescale and crap leaking out of one of the pumps and a couple of the pipes.

Thanks

J_T

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:16 am

Hi,
Well inhibitors will be a waste of time.
You will need to clean the boiler, unit & rads first.
After which inhibitor can be added to keep it clean.
For cleaner & inhibitor ii is 1 bottle to every 100 litres.
So if your BM is 125 litres that is 1.25 bottles plus the boiler & rads which as a rough guide is 1 bottle to 10 rads.
If your BM is a 150 then 1.5 bottles
A 180 then 1.8 bottles
And so on.
Always round the figure up eg 180 litres would be 2 bottles plus the system.
To put it in.
You can drain water out of the unit (2 drain offs) or from a drain off on the rads.
On draining you will see the water in the small top tank go down. If it does not go down STOP as you have a blocked cold feed to the unit.
If it goes down isolate the water supply to the top tank (F&E) drain out till tank is empty. Then drain for at least 5 more minutes.
Add cleaner and water, point being that cleaner needs to go into unit NOT sit in top tank.
You may have to bleed the pumps on the unit.
And the rads.
Run the system until clean / according to instructions on the bottles.
There are pitfalls to all the above.
And the above may not resolve your heating and hot water issues.If the bottom right hand side of the unit is showing signs of leaking etc it may be game over.
Again I will state if when posting you put your area then offers of help from an engineer may be offered.
And I will add that if anyone takes the time and trouble to read and study the posts on their unit lots will be learned.
Mike

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:17 am

Boilermate 2000 heating problem/hot water works fine. Check out in BM 2000 posts

Last edited by mike on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added more)

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:25 am

Any benefit to draining down ?? in the BM 2000 posts

Last edited by mike on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added more)

mike

Back to top Go down

Post  J_T Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:55 am

Thanks for the info Mike and the two post titles with info in. Will spend Saturday reading through all the posts before attempting anything. I think two of the things you have said makes me think there are going to be more problems, firstly the leak was the tap in the bottom right corner, that was the tap that had corroded to the point it snapped off, secondly when the system completely emptied due to the leak the top tank feeder unit stayed full so as you said there may be a blockage. Have already spent £600 on a new circuit board and two pumps so it whether its worth sticking with it and trying to get it in good working order or whether its game over and worth ripping the thing out and starting again.

Appreciate the response.

Thanks

Julie

J_T

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:03 pm

If you look on my details.
You will find more info.
Send some pictures and I may be able to help more

mike